Likes Likes:  29
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
ELITE ELITE:  3
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mystery Sign

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mystery Sign

What's the Anderson Trail? Seen on Army Navy Drive at the corner of Joyce, looking uphill.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0002.jpg 
Views:	317 
Size:	93.8 KB 
ID:	14841

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ginacico View Post
    What's the Anderson Trail? Seen on Army Navy Drive at the corner of Joyce, looking uphill.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0002.jpg 
Views:	317 
Size:	93.8 KB 
ID:	14841
    My recollection is that it branched off of what is now the Four Mile Run Trail just before the Arlington waste treatment plant and ran along Glebe Road.

I think it was named after Wayne Anderson, he was Alexandria's city manager from 1970-1974 and was instrumental in the Four Mile Run flood control project. There is a plaque on the Alexandria side of Four Mile Run mounted on a rock where Commonwealth Avenue intersects the Four Mile Run Trail.

The Four Mile Run Trail dates from 1980.
    Last edited by CaseyKane50; 05-23-2017 at 12:08 PM. Reason: The plague came later

DismalScientist is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

It's the asphalt separate from the sidewalk that is 4MRT east of the intersection of Glebe and Glebe.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, I've never heard of the Wayne Anderson Trail before!

After doing a bit of Google research, it appears that this section is the Wayne F Anderson Bikeway (full name): https://goo.gl/maps/qsy2LjpuMd42 (please correct me if I'm wrong)

Pages where I saw the Wayne F Anderson Bikeway referenced:

Does anyone know why the name was dropped from common usage?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyKane50 View Post
    There is a plague on the Alexandria side of Four Mile Run mounted on a rock where Commonwealth Avenue intersects the Four Mile Run Trail.
    Bubonic? Biblical?

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a bit from the Arlandrian in 2009, wherein Steve O also noticed the strange signs.

"The Anderson Trail...or perhaps, Anderson Bikeway....is the proper name of the trail in Four Mile Run park between Route 1 and the Avenue."

http://www.arlandria.org/2009/06/anderson-bikeway.html

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ginacico View Post
    Here's a bit from the Arlandrian in 2009, wherein Steve O also noticed the strange signs.

"The Anderson Trail...or perhaps, Anderson Bikeway....is the proper name of the trail in Four Mile Run park between Route 1 and the Avenue."

http://www.arlandria.org/2009/06/anderson-bikeway.html
    This is a relief to know. Instead of saying " the Four Mile Run trail, but the one in Alexandria, not the one in Arlington" when describing the detour, I can just say "the Anderson Trail"

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by accordioneur View Post
    Bubonic? Biblical?

One of the leading "bike haters" in the City, is someone who lives on the east side of Old Town, works near King Street metro, and drives to work. And regularly complains about his commute. And ran for Council, and actually got 8400 votes. Of course the City is the subject of divine wrath.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    This is a relief to know. Instead of saying " the Four Mile Run trail, but the one in Alexandria, not the one in Arlington" when describing the detour, I can just say "the Anderson Trail"
    And that way, ensure that absolutely no one knows what you're talking about.

Steve O is offline 5000+ Posts? The first step to beating addiction is admitting you have one.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cvcalhoun View Post
    And that way, ensure that absolutely no one knows what you're talking about.
    Don't get me started. It's like calling the Donaldson Run Trail "Zachary Taylor Trail." Or my other favorite mystery signs are the ones along the W&OD that say "John Marshall."
    Not "John Marshall Bikeway" or "John Marshall Bike Route," just "John Marshall," as though you will turn that way and there will be a guy standing there in a white wig.

Here's my original blog post on the topic if you're bored.