Likes Likes:  77
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
ELITE ELITE:  8
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Gravel Race Up Spruce Knob

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    I'm doing it this year (finally!).

For logistical reasons I'm contemplating of doing it on my road bike (28mm tires) -- terrible idea?
    Last year, it rained the night before, but even with that the gravel was not bad and mostly solid and smooth. Given your skills and setup, you could be okay. There was one downhill section toward the beginning though, that my G-Ones really struggled with....itís basically a fast descent on wet grass where the soil is soft and muddy, and if youíre toward the back, itíll be super rutted from the front riders. Slicks would be very sketchy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelsDC View Post
    ....it’s basically a fast descent on wet grass where the soil is soft and muddy, and if you’re toward the back, it’ll be super rutted from the front riders. Slicks would be very sketchy.
    Just yell “kaplah!” You’ll be fine.

3. Likes Steve O liked this post
    hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Ha - I knew that Learn Klingon book would someday pay off! :-)

Yeah, I am leaning toward the road bike for simplifying my weekend, but the grass doubletrack on slicks does sound sketchy. I will do my best to remember to be toward the front at that section if I do that!

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone driving out there with free space for a dude and his bike?

rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better. ~~Samuel Beckett
    Post Thanks / Like

So ah..... how was the ride REJI?

7. Likes josh, sjclaeys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelsDC View Post
    Last year, it rained the night before, but even with that the gravel was not bad and mostly solid and smooth. Given your skills and setup, you could be okay. There was one downhill section toward the beginning though, that my G-Ones really struggled with....it’s basically a fast descent on wet grass where the soil is soft and muddy, and if you’re toward the back, it’ll be super rutted from the front riders. Slicks would be very sketchy.
    Can now confirm. I think it rained briefly on Friday during the day, but was generally pretty dry. I still wiped out. I was using fairly-worn 34c WTB Exposures (not the Compass tires I was thinking of using), but I think going slower probably would've been a better solution.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rcannon100 View Post
    So ah..... how was the ride REJI?
    It was awesome and everyone with a Renegade (Emm and Komorebi) or a tandem (Judd) should do it next year!

10. Likes Judd, Sunyata, Emm, josh liked this post
    rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better. ~~Samuel Beckett
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by reji View Post
    It was awesome and everyone with a Renegade (Emm and Komorebi) or a tandem (Judd) should do it next year!
    Anything else interesting happen???

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	36739877_10155346805072407_8965928312698306560_n.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	18116
    Last edited by rcannon100; 07-08-2018 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Sandbagging.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rcannon100 View Post
    Anything else interesting happen???
    Lots! Sunyata crushed it! Josh crushed his helmet on the grassy doubletrack! QuikAF's tire actively disengaged itself from the rim (yikes!) Oh, and some old lady with toe clips managed to find her way to the podium.

Post Thanks / Like

I think everyone that was there had a great day on the bike! The weather was fantastic, the route was gorgeous, there were cows and sheep, some punishing chunky gravel, delicious beer was served, and I got to see so many wonderful friends do so well at their first gravel race! (And unfortunately, a few friends that had to DNF due to crashes or mechanicals, but they still had fun!)

The look on Reji's face when I told her she was on the podium was priceless! I would just like to say for the record that I told her she would crush it!

Now... I expect the rest of you to sign up and race next year. It truly is an awesome event!

14. Likes josh, Arlingtonrider, streetsmarts liked this post