Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Required to dismount in crosswalk?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scoot View Post
    There was actually legislation to fix this, Senate Bill 925. It looks like it has passed, and is waiting to be signed by the governor.
    Last edited by cvcalhoun; 05-20-2017 at 01:02 PM.

2. Likes Crickey7, Steve O liked this post
    mstone is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

dkel brings up a good point: it totally depends on context. If there are no pedestrians around, I don't think anyone should be asked to dismount. But if you're crossing with a crowd, especially children, it's much safer and more courteous to just walk your bike.
    Yes, of course. It's just obnoxious when a kid is on an empty street and an empty sidewalk getting yelled at to get off the bike because rules. To my knowledge nobody was ever hit by a bike before this policy, and multiple people were hit by cars. A much more safety-proactive rule would be for people do dismount their cars a quarter mile from the school and walk them the rest of the way.

4. Likes consularrider, KLizotte, KWL, Steve O, Birru liked this post
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

What school? You may want to reach out to Lauren Hassel, APS Safe Routes to Schools Coordinator and/or Elizabeth Denton, Coordinator for APS Go (basically staff TDM) to point out the issue.

But if you're crossing with a crowd, especially children, it's much safer and more courteous to just walk your bike.
    It really depends on the bike and the rider. Cargo bikes are much easier to control, even at very low speeds, when you're riding than when you're pushing. In fact, my son is just more stable on a bike than off. I fully support a crossing guard, when there are tons of kids around, to ask a rider who's really squirrelly to dismount, but it shouldn't be a blanket rule. It should depend on context.

6. Likes scoot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    1. My understanding is that it is completely legal in all local jurisdictions for cyclists to ride through crosswalks (though in that case in addition to checking for cross traffic, they should also give right of way to the pedestrians crossing with them in the crosswalk, as they would on a sidewalk)
    What about the parts of the District where it is illegal to ride a bike on the sidewalk. Would this apply to crosswalks since crosswalks are often seen as extensions of sidewalks? I've always assumed it was illegal though I see people ride in crosswalks (and ride on sidewalks) every day.

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thucydides View Post
    What about the parts of the District where it is illegal to ride a bike on the sidewalk. Would this apply to crosswalks since crosswalks are often seen as extensions of sidewalks? I've always assumed it was illegal though I see people ride in crosswalks (and ride on sidewalks) every day.
    I don't know for sure. Personally I don't ride in crosswalks in those places, as I am already in the road, and generally do not like the practice of swerving from the road into the crosswalk

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thucydides View Post
    I'm pretty sure it doesn't, because bikes are instructed to use the crosswalks to turn in that district (e.g. from the PA bike lanes).

Post Thanks / Like

DC Law on biking

Biking in a crosswalk is permitted in DC with the requirement to yield to pedestrians.

1201.11 A person propelling a bicycle or operating a personal mobility device upon and along a sidewalk or while crossing a roadway in a crosswalk shall have all the rights and duties applicable to a pedestrian under the same circumstances, except that the bicyclist or personal mobility device operator must yield to pedestrians on the sidewalk or crosswalk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobco85 View Post
    I would add to all of this that you should let the kid know that this rule only applies to school crossing guards. There are still people out there who believe that cyclists are required to dismount when in a crosswalk.
    Yes, there are those people. I once had a random stranger tell me that I needed to dismount to use a crosswalk, and also that I should be on the street and not the sidewalk. I don't think he understood that those two claims contradict each other.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cvcalhoun View Post
    The governor appears to have vetoed this one but signed a similar one that came from the House.

Post Thanks / Like

It covers unicycles. Frankly, they should not have gone the specific route of trying to anticipate each different kind of non-auto vehicles that might be in the crosswalk, and adopted a more general, functional approach.