Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Mayor of Low-Fives on the radio for BTWD

Post Thanks / Like

Default The Mayor of Low-Fives on the radio for BTWD

2. Likes vern, ian74, semperiden, bobco85, Birru and 1 others liked this post
    ELITE Edelweiss, sjclaeys, Judd, Steve O, komorebi and 2 others ELITED this post
    Post Thanks / Like

From the article:

...Capital Bikeshare is one of the main reasons the regionís percentage of bike commuters has nearly doubled in the past decade, from 1.7 to 4 percent.
    Basic arithmetic is not a requirement for employment at WAMU, evidently.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bentbike33 View Post
    From the article:

Basic arithmetic is not a requirement for employment at WAMU, evidently.
    Also definition of region. AFAIK bike commute share is 4% for the District, which has the highest share in the region by far.

If its really 4% for the region, I would be ecstatic, but I am pretty sure it is not.

Post Thanks / Like

http://wtop.com/local/2017/05/many-p...prising-stats/

Just saw this . Good research. Lots of numbers...hopefully they're going up. Hey, I'm biking! That's one more!

6. Likes dasgeh, LeprosyStudyGroup liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    Also definition of region. AFAIK bike commute share is 4% for the District, which has the highest share in the region by far.

If its really 4% for the region, I would be ecstatic, but I am pretty sure it is not.
    For the Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV Metro Area, which consists of District of Columbia, DC; Calvert County, MD; Charles County, MD; Frederick County, MD; Montgomery County, MD; Prince George's County, MD; Arlington County, VA; Clarke County, VA; Culpeper County, VA; Fairfax County, VA; Fauquier County, VA; Loudoun County, VA; Prince William County, VA; Rappahannock County, VA; Spotsylvania County, VA; Stafford County, VA; Warren County, VA; Alexandria city, VA; Fairfax city, VA; Falls Church city, VA; Fredericksburg city, VA; Manassas city, VA; Manassas Park city, VA; and Jefferson County, WV, it was 0.8% in 2015.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bentbike33 View Post
    For the Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV Metro Area, which consists of District of Columbia, DC; Calvert County, MD; Charles County, MD; Frederick County, MD; Montgomery County, MD; Prince George's County, MD; Arlington County, VA; Clarke County, VA; Culpeper County, VA; Fairfax County, VA; Fauquier County, VA; Loudoun County, VA; Prince William County, VA; Rappahannock County, VA; Spotsylvania County, VA; Stafford County, VA; Warren County, VA; Alexandria city, VA; Fairfax city, VA; Falls Church city, VA; Fredericksburg city, VA; Manassas city, VA; Manassas Park city, VA; and Jefferson County, WV, it was 0.8% in 2015.
    While citywide and across the region, that number sounds low, some neighborhoods are several times that. I made a map of Alexandria's census tracts and used Census Bureau's 2013 American Community Survey and some neighborhoods are 4-6 times higher than that regional average. DC has even higher numbers in certain neighborhoods.

Post Thanks / Like

That stuff's boring, let's talk more about local cycling heartthrob Ian. He does dreamy commute distances with a good attitude and everybody likes him.

10. ELITE wheels&wings, ian74, bobco85 ELITED this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LeprosyStudyGroup View Post
    That stuff's boring, let's talk more about local cycling heartthrob Ian. He does dreamy commute distances with a good attitude and everybody likes him.
    But can he do math?!?! The economists need to know!!!

12. ELITE ian74 ELITED this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    But can he do math?!?! The economists need to know!!!
    Has anyone reached Dismal Scientist for comment?!

In all seriousness though, its was a joy to see that article today! It's a bit ironic though that because of leaving early for BTWD I didn't get to hear it on the air.

14. Likes ian74, streetsmarts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LeprosyStudyGroup View Post
    I heard Ian Fingerman once used his bike to rescue Baby Jessica from a well.

16. Likes Edelweiss, ian74, sjclaeys, Birru, vvill and 1 others liked this post