Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Climate Ride 2017: Help Kitty come home!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Climate Ride 2017: Help Kitty come home!!!

UPDATE! Interactive donation opportunities now available!

* Operation Biking Bake Sale On-hold (baking up thank you gifts)

* Alexandria Bike Wash, BBQ, and Board-game Party!: August 5th at Emm's place! Come for the bike wash, stay for the fun! Suggested donation $10. Details here.
    __________________________________________________ _________________________________________
    August Update:
    So, you guys continue to be AWESOME! The ride/pool party/film viewing was a HUGE success. It brought in enough funding to push us over the $3,000 stretch goal (w00!)

That said, there was still talk of one more FUNdraiser event (see above! ) and there are still members of Team WABA that need some help. I will certainly take more direct donations because at my level of fundraising, WABA gets a much larger cut (80%), but I will share a portion of cash donations with teammates to give them a boost.

So if you haven't gotten in on this and would still like to help us out, I'll be accepting donations through Labor Day!
    __________________________________________________ _________________________________________
    July Update:

It's been a few weeks of busy biking and furious fundraising, so I thought its time for an update. Since BtWD I’ve clocked in 970 miles on the bike, and climbing more hills than I’d like. Also in that time we’ve surpassed the minimum fundraising requirement for the Climate Ride, and reached within a hair of my original goal of $2,500!

I am grateful beyond words for all those who encouraged me and contributed on this journey so far! But wait, why does the donation page now say $3,000 as the goal? Isn’t this like climbing a hill to find… another hill?!

In truth, yes. In the spirit of full transparency, two reasons:
    1. Many people have expressed a desire to donate, but have not yet had the chance. (If you are one of these people: NOW IS YOUR CHANCE!)
    2. A full 80% of whatever is received at this point goes directly to WABA, and helps the team meet it’s minimum goal.

If we can hit the $3,000 mark, then WABA will get an even $1,600 from my campaign, and I love round numbers as much as I like smooth trails, and a warm cookie.*

So if you are still interested in helping me on this cause, he best way to make a tax-deductible donation is to go here: https://support.climateride.org/part...imateRideKitty, and click the “Support Me” button.

Most importantly, thank you, thank you, THANK YOU to the folks who have generously donated already to get us this far!

*Remember Donations of over $50 are eligible for a special homebaked bonus gift.
    [[Original Post]]Before a big email and social media push tomorrow, I wanted to make the announcement here first: I’ve made a terrible decision. I’m doing the Climate Ride!

It’s not the part where I ride for 50-80 miles for 3 days straight that’s bad, nor the part where I have to climb through the Blue Ridge mountains (confession time: I’ve never ridden in mountains before), nor even the part where I saunter the corridors of the Hill in lycra.

No. The bad part is that I have to ask folks for money. To participate, I need to raise over $2,000 by Labor Day. Which. Terrifies. Me.

The good news is, I’m riding for Team WABA, and who here doesn’t love WABA?

55% of what I raise will go to WABA as a no-strings-attached grant! (The other 45% pays for all the food I plan on eating along the way and supporting the Climate Ride’s good work on raising awareness about the environment and stuff. )

As much as it hurts to ask, please consider making a tax-deductible donation by clicking the “Support Me” button at: https://support.climateride.org/part...imateRideKitty
    (Think of how much money on bike-shop bills with you WABA discount, can you spare me any of that change?)

Once that part’s out of the way (PLEASE help me get it out of the way), I look forward to having fun with this!

After I recover from my dooring injuries I’m looking forward to a long summer of training, and will welcome any tips, route suggestions, cheerleading and camaraderie I can get.

I’ll update things as I go here, but folks who want more real-time updates can follow progress with #ClimateRideKitty on Strava, Twitter, and Instagram.

Thank you so much for your help and support!
    __________________________________________________ ________________________
    This is the gratitude zone! Here are the awesome-sauce folks who have pitched-in so far! <3

* LeprosyStudyGroup
    * Emm
    * Many Mode Commute
    * Accordioneur
    * Komorebi
    * LhasaCM
    * CBGAnimal
    * Jessica H.
    * DBB
    * MegOC42
    * Judd Lumberjack
    * Reji
    * TwoWheelsDC
    * CReadinger
    * Bob James
    * Amalitza
    * Bobco
    * ArlingtonRider
    * BobCochran
    * SteveO
    * Rimas
    * KWL
    * Rockford
    * Streetsmarts
    * Huskerdont
    * srt112
    * RandomDuck
    * Drevil
    * SJClaeys
    * Coffeeneur

(The system didn't always give me the forum name, so if you see your real-life name here, PM me and I'll swap it!)
    Last edited by Kitty; 07-31-2017 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Props and s/o to donors!, Event updates

2. Likes LhasaCM, Emm, Steve O, Sunyata, streetsmarts and 1 others liked this post
    ELITE ginacico ELITED this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This is super exciting! Unfortunately, some unexpected, last minute bike repairs for Kanza came up. So I will donate when I get back (please remind me!).

But you rock for doing this! I have some really awesome training routes (mostly gravel, but extra resistance is good!) if you want to take a look at them.

Post Thanks / Like

I am flabbergasted to see that I am somehow 25% of the way to my required fundraising amount! I am overwhelmed with gratitude. My ride tomorrow will be to JoAnns to find some stuff for Thank You cards! Let's keep it up!

Quote Originally Posted by Sunyata View Post
    This is super exciting! Unfortunately, some unexpected, last minute bike repairs for Kanza came up. So I will donate when I get back (please remind me!).

But you rock for doing this! I have some really awesome training routes (mostly gravel, but extra resistance is good!) if you want to take a look at them.
    Thanks Sunyata! Lord knows later is as good as now.

I'd love to try some gravel routes actually. It would be something different and it would mean I wouldn't have to switch over to my skinny wheels before heading out.

5. Likes Sunyata liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey all!

I wanted to give an update on the fundraising process. I am thrilled to say that in the past half a week, I was able to hit the $1,000 threshold! We're now at 44% of my goal.

I am overwhelmed with the gratitude and support that I've received on this already--even before I've climbed my first hill!

Now, my dad (God love him) put all of this into perspective by saying:

Dad: "So you're almost at halfway?"
    Kitty: "Yes."
    Dad: "Well, the second half might be harder, good luck"
    Kitty:

So as he rightfully put it, I have a long way to go yet. So if you were thinking of donating, I and WABA still want it!

As an added incentive, donations above $50 are eligible to receive a special, custom, carby, thank you gift! (As soon as my hand is better and I can bake again )

https://support.climateride.org/part...imateRideKitty

Steve O is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty View Post
    As an added incentive, donations above $50 are eligible to receive a special, custom, carby, thank you gift! (As soon as my hand is better and I can bake again )
    Oooooo...glad I procrastinated.

(Wonder what she'll offer if I wait her out another month?)

Post Thanks / Like

Update! I am still sitting at a little over 50% on the fundraising goal. Thank you again to those who've supported me so far! However, I still need help!

I know I have a long time before September, but the Paris Accord news is making me antsy.

I really REALLY want to get out there and ride--partially as a statement of how important Climate issues are, partially as a means of making a tangible change.

(This is preaching to the choir but) According to research from the Institute for Transportation and Development Policy, increasing the rate of cycling by 10% in US cities by 2050, could reduce emissions by 25%!

But, as we know, getting around by bike is not easy, the same study says it would take changes to cities’ policies and infrastructure, such as:

• Rapidly developing large-scale networks of bike infrastructure.
    • Implementing bike-share, with an emphasis on connections to transit.
    • Revising laws to protect cyclists and pedestrians.
    • Investing in walking and transit.
    • Coordinating regional land use planning with transportation investments.

What do you know?! Those are just the sort of things my Climate Ride Team, WABA, fights for every day in the DC area!

So remember, a donation to me is a no-restriction grant to WABA to do the things that make us happy locally, and just might have a tiny impact globally.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    Oooooo...glad I procrastinated.

(Wonder what she'll offer if I wait her out another month?)
    I offer you the chance to do one small, but very helpful thing, in the face of a heartbreaking news cycle that says "I'm a climate guy, and this ain't right!"

(Plus by next week my hand should be well enough to allow me to bake again)

9. Likes elbows, Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Update!

I still have a ways to go, but I'm pleased to announce Operation Biking Bake Sale!

Throughout the summer I'll be bringing homemade cookies, energy bars, and other treats to social gatherings such as the morning coffee clubs, happy hours, fun rides and more! They can be yours for a free-will donation to my Climate Ride fund.

If you don't have cash on you but are craving a cookie, that's okay! There's the honor system and technology for that: a card with the url for my fundraising page will be enclosed in each package, so you can eat now, and donate later electronically!

Check the top of the thread for info on the next stop for the bake sale, and possible "menu."

Suggestions/requests for cookie/baked good offerings welcome!

11. Likes streetsmarts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

After stealing one of LeprosyStudyGroup's chocolate cookies yesterday I may need to up my donation game. Those cookies were seriously good... Donations don't need to all be at once, right? So if I previously donated (I'm Erin L in "real" life), I can make up the rest of it to get to the cookie mark then get chocolate cookies all for myself (and whoever happens to be sitting next to me at that moment...)?

I also suggest brownies. Who doesn't love brownies?

13. Likes streetsmarts, Bob James liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emm View Post
    After stealing one of LeprosyStudyGroup's chocolate cookies yesterday I may need to up my donation game. Those cookies were seriously good... Donations don't need to all be at once, right? So if I previously donated (I'm Erin L in "real" life), I can make up the rest of it to get to the cookie mark then get chocolate cookies all for myself (and whoever happens to be sitting next to me at that moment...)?

The chocolate chip cookies were also good and I ate all of them at coffee club on Tuesday.

15. Likes Bob James liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    The chocolate chip cookies were also good and I ate all of them at coffee club on Tuesday.
    I'm so glad! That is my all-time favorite recipe. For maximum enjoyment, I didn't try to tinker with it and make it healthy at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Emm View Post

Sure! I don't see why not. If it ends up being over $50 you are eligible to receive a dozen of whatever you want! (Or a whole batch of brownies depending on how I end up cutting them).