Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Feedback for New Event Idea?

Post Thanks / Like

When I used to do a lot of trail running, I was going to (but never did) organize something similar on a local network of trails. The only twist I had was that I was going to assign different point values to each location. I forget the details, but it was some sort of scrabble-based system. Each checkpoint was a letter, and some letters gave you more points based on their scrabble value. The idea was to put a layer of thought into it -- should I go for two easy, but low-value letters that are close by, or go for the high-value X that's further away? I was trying to avoid making it a race won by the fastest, yet keep it relatively simple. Not sure how well the idea would have worked in practice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by trailrunner View Post
    When I used to do a lot of trail running, I was going to (but never did) organize something similar on a local network of trails. The only twist I had was that I was going to assign different point values to each location. I forget the details, but it was some sort of scrabble-based system. Each checkpoint was a letter, and some letters gave you more points based on their scrabble value. The idea was to put a layer of thought into it -- should I go for two easy, but low-value letters that are close by, or go for the high-value X that's further away? I was trying to avoid making it a race won by the fastest, yet keep it relatively simple. Not sure how well the idea would have worked in practice.
    That sounds like something I did with a few friends back in 2004(?) and Pandamania. There were 150 pandas scattered around town, and we did a scavenger hunt to find (and take a picture with) as many as we could and get back to whatever point at a certain time. Points were awarded based on the number assigned to the panda, which was alphabetical (I think) from whatever the artist had titled it (so one location could have numbers 2, 47, and 135 nearby). As a result, there was some strategy involved to maximize points beyond "here's where the most look to be on the map."

Post Thanks / Like

I like the idea of weighting checkpoints a lot, but that would mean someone would have to plan it and wouldn't be able to participate (or would have an advantage)

what if we just said "anything outside of Arlington is worth double"?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cmj7gh View Post
    I like the idea of weighting checkpoints a lot, but that would mean someone would have to plan it and wouldn't be able to participate (or would have an advantage)

what if we just said "anything outside of Arlington is worth double"?
    Not necessarily. Just assign the points spontaneously when you reveal them on the map the morning of the event. You could eyeball the checkpoints that look further out and give them a higher value. Or take the fourth letter from each person's book and use that as the Scrabble letter for each checkpoint. Or draw numbers 1-20 from a hat for each checkpoint when you post the map. It doesn't have to be perfect or clever. Once the map and values for each checkpoint are revealed, people can stay and examine the map to optimize their route, or they can just ride and do it by the seat of their pants.

I liked the idea of keeping it within a relatively small area like Arlington.

5. Likes cmj7gh liked this post
    TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

So....an Alleycat?

7. Likes mello yello liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelsDC View Post
    So....an Alleycat?
    But you can't call it that or all the messengers will show up and kick all our butts.

Last one I did involved easter eggs and Mapei jerseys, and was put on by someone who went by "Spud". Fun times.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobco85 View Post
    Just had this idea pop into my head (warning: you are about to see a brief glimpse into my thoughts): looking at your original request of using books got me thinking, if each person has a distinct page #, then each person is going to end up with a nonsensical "story" based on those pages. This gets me thinking, it's not about the books themselves, how about the writing?

What if, instead of a page # from a book, each location would have a bunch of random words/phrases (maybe on cards?), and the order would be designated by the location (each location gets a number that denotes the position of that word/phrase in a story). Each participant would grab one part at random from each location, and at the end of the ride, everyone would tell the story based on the parts they found.

It'd be like a mashup of Mad Lib with the words/phrases coming from something like Cards Against Humanity (see Steve O's cycling version for added hilarity).

Quick example:
    Story: (rider name) set out on a bike ride. First, they put on (#1 clothes) and ate (#2 food). Partway through their ride, they encountered (#3 group) which made them feel (#4 adjective). Finally, (rider name) made it to the bar and drank (#5 beverage) until they (#6 action). The end.

Picking up cards at random from each location, Judd ends up with this story:
    Judd set out on a bike ride. First, they put on coveralls-that-don't-cover-all and ate raspberries stolen from the MVT by Steve O. Partway through their ride, they encountered a pack of pathletes which made them feel sticky. Finally, Judd made it to the bar and drank nectar of the cycling gods until they forgot how to clip out of their pedals. The end.
    I LOVE this idea! (The thought of tearing pages out of books makes me very sad.) Plus, how fun will it be to convene at the ending brewery and have each person/team read their NSFW mad libs?!

Or... We could play with an actual Cards Against Humanity deck. Each person/team is given a black card and then each check point will have random white cards. The person/team with the best combo wins? (OMG, I am so going to do this on a MTB ride.)

Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps Steve O will lend some "Velocipedes Against Humanity Cards."

Q: How did this get sticky?
    A: Bobco's videos on Youtube.

11. Likes streetsmarts, Steve O liked this post
    ELITE bobco85 ELITED this post
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Have you heard of Hash House Harriers?

<I'll wait for the googlers>

Those runs are somewhat similar -- meet in one location, run, end at bar. For the "normal" runs, they don't bother coordinating with the bar, but they pick bars that aren't super busy. For special runs where they expect lots of people, they coordinate. Or when they want drink specials, they coordinate.

New District would be great, but isn't the most central. The Westover Beer Garden is also bike-friendly, but also not central.

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    Have you heard of Hash House Harriers?

<I'll wait for the googlers>

Those runs are somewhat similar -- meet in one location, run, end at bar. For the "normal" runs, they don't bother coordinating with the bar, but they pick bars that aren't super busy. For special runs where they expect lots of people, they coordinate. Or when they want drink specials, they coordinate.

New District would be great, but isn't the most central. The Westover Beer Garden is also bike-friendly, but also not central.
    I've been told that hashers are responsible for the periodic lumps of blue powder that appear on sidewalks and trails...my wife explained the reasoning of this to me at some point (I guess she's done these events before) but I've forgotten and am too lazy to look it up.