Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Custis Trail connector at Fairfax Drive & Glebe Road

Post Thanks / Like

Default DeTour to !@#$%

Quote Originally Posted by Sunyata View Post
    When I rode through there yesterday afternoon, there was no signed detour. I actually had to STOP on the side of the 66 ramp to get from the road to the trail as there is a newly installed curb (8" high) and no curb cut. Insanely dangerous, but as I was expecting the aforementioned signed detour, I went that way and did not have time to turn around and figure out the detour on my own.

I realise that the cobbles were a little wonky, but I am not really sure WHY this contractor felt the need to rip everything up that worked quite nicely and do whatever the heck it is that they are doing that appears to be making things less safe (in the long term) and stupidly dangerous (in the short term). The curb cuts that are being installed for both this section and the section directly in front of the new building appear to be very odd and narrow.
    I came off W&OD trail this morning headed to Ballston. I had some extra time this morning and decided to follow the detour sign. Guess what, the detour sign is @#$ useless! Why bother posting a detour sign that leads to nowhere. Who ever painted that sign is short of an oxymoron!

This is going to be a concern for tomorrow's commute - Bike to Work Day!!!

2. Likes Steve O liked this post
    Steve O is online now I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Complete failure

I just sent this email to everyone, including the County Board and the County Manager
    Hello Ritch,

I just rode through there about 12:30 pm. Nothing has changed. It is still just as dangerous and unmarked as before. There were lots of people out walking around lunchtime having to navigate through construction traffic without sidewalks, with orange barriers blocking their paths, etc. Westbound trail users have no signage whatsoever. Nothing. No way to know what to do to get around/through the construction zone. Eastbound trail users have a single hand-drawn sign that says "Detour" with a left arrow. Once they go left there is nothing. They must fend for themselves.

TOMORROW IS BIKE TO WORK DAY!!!
    Tomorrow scores of brand-new bicycle riders will be coming down the Ballston Connector to get to the Ballston pitstop. People who have never been there before. They will have no idea what to do or where to go. People leaving the Ballston pit stop and going to the Custis Trail to continue to Falls Church and beyond will encounter the exact same situation you noted on May 9, when you expressed concern about people riding in the road mixing with high-speed ramp traffic. Nothing has changed. Nothing. Arlington has completely failed to provide clear, safe passage for this construction zone.
    This must be fixed today. Tomorrow is Bike to Work Day. Clark Construction has proven that they are incapable of doing it, so Arlington must. Imagine if someone is injured tomorrow on Bike to Work Day due to the gross negligence of this project.
    I've attached a few photos I took just an hour ago.

Did I mention that tomorrow is Bike to Work Day? The biggest day of the year to encourage people to try out bike commuting. Do something.

4. Likes bobco85, eminva, CaseyKane50, Birru, Cangrande and 3 others liked this post
    ELITE Sunyata, LeprosyStudyGroup ELITED this post
    Post Thanks / Like

At 3:03 PM I received this email
    Detour signs for a route around the construction site were installed today by County crews. Staff will continue to press Clark Construction to have them better protect the safety of the public traveling around their work site.

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

The County just wrote back -- the County has put in detour signs (the email had pictures - I can't post but maybe someone else can).

If anyone else heads through there tonight/tomorrow, please post a report/pictures. This issue has been elevated, so having up to date information is helpful.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    The County just wrote back -- the County has put in detour signs (the email had pictures - I can't post but maybe someone else can).

If anyone else heads through there tonight/tomorrow, please post a report/pictures. This issue has been elevated, so having up to date information is helpful.
    I am heading through there shortly. Will take pictures and report after I get home.

8. Likes bobco85, dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

mstone is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    At 3:03 PM I received this email [press them to follow the rules]
    What the hell is this "press them" stuff? Fine them and shut them down if they can't provide for public safety.

Post Thanks / Like

Looking at the County's tree preservation standards, trees seem to be treated better than peds and cyclists

https://arlingtonva.s3.dualstack.us-.../AppendixF.pdf

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tree_Page_1.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	26.3 KB 
ID:	14787

Not only is a fence required to protect the trees, there is a county phone number to report violations.

Might be something that could be adopted to protect things other than trees, like you or me!

For the record, I like trees but I like me as much.

Post Thanks / Like

This is still a fail. County put up 3 signs total, one of which is not even placed where it will be encountered from the previous one. This is barely an improvement.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    This is still a fail. County put up 3 signs total, one of which is not even placed where it will be encountered from the previous one. This is barely an improvement.
    Thank you for your persistence, Steve -- maybe it's time to drop a dime on The Washington Post? Dr. Gridlock, Ashley Halsey, one of the Metro columnists like Petula Dvorak?

Or local business columnist which would most certainly get Clark's attention?

Liz