Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 40

Thread: L! G! A! - Wednesday C&O Gravel Rides

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    1,331
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default L! G! A! - Wednesday C&O Gravel Rides

    You feel like grinding some gravel? Shredding some gnar? Gleaming the cube? Of course you do! And that's why Lights! Gravel! Action! is for you! Ride up the C&O canal every Wednesday. Mother Nature is providing the light right now.

    What: C&O Gravel Ride - approximately 30 miles out and back to Great Falls Overlook
    When: Every Wednesday at 6 p.m.
    Where: District Cycleworks (2603 P St NW, Washington, DC 20007)

    There is also a splinter cell that means at the Georgetown Waterfront Park at 6 and will join the main group at the footbridge on the canal.

    Link to the discussion in the Freezing Saddles subforum:
    http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showth...hp?11573-L!g!a!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    667
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I will be on my Niner next week and will probably meet at the park, since I have to drop my Warbird off at the shop after work for some pre-Kanza love.

    There may be some "off-gravel" fun since I will have fat tires.

  3. Likes Judd liked this post
  4. #3
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    780
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gleaming.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	14744

  5. ELITE Harry Meatmotor, Judd, Birru ELITED this post
  6. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Vienna, VA to Farragut North
    Posts
    1,582
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    What is your pace like?

    Liz

  7. #5
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    780
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eminva View Post
    What is your pace like?

    Liz
    The Splinter Cell averaged around 14mph on the towpath. Fast enough to get where we were going (the overlook) but not enough to even get the heart rate up since the C&O is so flat. The pace last Wednesday just seemed to be what worked for all of us but I don't think any one would mind going a little slower (or faster). Regardless, you'd be able to keep up with no issues.

  8. Likes eminva liked this post
  9. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    1,331
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eminva View Post
    What is your pace like?
    Ludicrous speed. Dr. Evil kept up to his name by forcing us to go fast and hop over trees.

  10. #7
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    780
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Air was caught and things indeed were hopped by a few. Strict tire contact with the ground at all times is not enforced.

  11. Likes Steve O, Sunyata liked this post
  12. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    908
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    There are some clandestine, not entirely legal MTB trails along some sections of the towpath between Chain Bridge and the American Legion Bridge, should you want to vary your plod a bit.

    Wednesday evenings are generally a no-go for me though.

  13. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    347
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tania View Post
    ...The pace last Wednesday just seemed to be what worked for all of us but I don't think any one would mind going a little slower (or faster).
    Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    Ludicrous speed. Dr. JerkFace kept up to his name by forcing us to go fast and hop over trees.
    Sorry! I'll try to check myself before I wreck myself. I'm trying to convince wife to come, and if she does and I go too fast, she'll check me for me.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tania View Post
    Air was caught and things indeed were hopped by a few. Strict tire contact with the ground at all times is not enforced.
    It's not a bike ride if earth isn't departed or logs aren't hopped!

    Quote Originally Posted by huskerdont View Post
    There are some clandestine, not entirely legal MTB trails along some sections of the towpath between Chain Bridge and the American Legion Bridge, should you want to vary your plod a bit.

    Wednesday evenings are generally a no-go for me though.
    The first rule of fight club: you do not talk about fight club... (but PM'ing details are ok)

    Quote Originally Posted by Sunyata View Post
    I will be on my Niner next week and will probably meet at the park, since I have to drop my Warbird off at the shop after work for some pre-Kanza love.

    There may be some "off-gravel" fun since I will have fat tires.
    Whoa, whoa, whoa. I wanna play too! If I make it out, I'll bring my mtb, which will help slow my roll

  14. Likes Sunyata, Steve O liked this post
  15. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    MoCo
    Posts
    800
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    There's also at least one, seemingly now abandoned, homeless encampment just north of Fletcher's along one of the linear things that shall not be named. Probably not unsafe, but best to go in pairs anyway.

  16. Likes Tania liked this post

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •