Which Conte's?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Subby View Post
    Which Conte's?
    This one, in Navy Yard

http://contebikes.com/about/washington-dc-pg242.htm

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    Ahh okay. I can vouch for the one in Falls Church but haven't been to that one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post

I guess. I'm in the don't-change-chains camp. It doesn't save me any measurable life of my cassette (I get 5k miles to a cassette whether I change or not) or shifting performance (shifting does degrade on old cassettes, but putting new chains on old cassettes doesn't make shifting work better). Not changing chains certainly saves me time and money, though. Do keep your chain clean and lubed, though.
    I'm in this camp too. I got 6k out of the last chain/cassette before it developed a skip. Just a quick google of the Road Warrior seems to indicate that it has Tiagra level components, so it looks like a cassette will set you back $25 and a chain is about $20. From a money perspective it seems a wash to me, but you spend less time going to the bike shop.

Of course there's outliers like Komorebi who I believe has like 13-14k on her current cassette, because she has some kind of wizard bike.

5. Likes hozn liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    Note, he definitely said the chain was stretched. That is one thing I think I know how to check - I have a chain checking tool in my building bike room, and the looked fine (assuming I checked it right, I used a youtube video as a guide) but I guess that was a few months ago. I can easily do that again.

I imagine among the many tools are chain tools.

I guess I can check the cables for rust, but they don't seem to be giving me problems. That I notice.
    Yeah - so the quality of the chain checker is a big deal. When folks ask me why I prefer the relatively expensive Rohloff to a cheap one, I'll take a Rohloff and a cheap tool, and measure a brand new bike's chain down on the sales floor. The cheap tools usually indicate at least 25% wear on a brand new chain. Rohloff will always show 0-10%.

7. Likes rcannon100, KLizotte liked this post
    rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
    Post Thanks / Like

I do a lot of my own repairs. But its never as good as a skilled mechanic. So my old commuter gets a lot of my attention - my Kona Jake CX, when it gets to the bigger stuff, I like to take to Bikenetic because the wrenches just do a better job than I do. And having bought the bike from Bikenetic, I am convinced they are losing money on every one of my repairs.

I agree with Hans et al. Sounds like much stuff you can do your self. Certainly chain cleaning. You want to be in the habit of doing that anyway. When I had brake pads, particularly during bad winters, the sand and salt on the road would just dissolve them. Another good thing to know how to swap yourself. Swapping a chain is easy. Just remember to count the links on the old chain and cut the new chain with a chain breaker to the same length. Learn how to swap a chain - and next time someone's chain fouls on the trail you should be able easily help them - including using a master link.

Everything you can learn how to do from youtube videos (a good start is GCN videos)

I also have to admit I just enjoy working on my bike. I like knowing how it works - and I like knowing that I can tweak it on the trail if I have to.

9. Likes streetsmarts, hozn liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    I'm in this camp too. I got 6k out of the last chain/cassette before it developed a skip. Just a quick google of the Road Warrior seems to indicate that it has Tiagra level components, so it looks like a cassette will set you back $25 and a chain is about $20. From a money perspective it seems a wash to me, but you spend less time going to the bike shop.

Of course there's outliers like Komorebi who I believe has like 13-14k on her current cassette, because she has some kind of wizard bike.
    +1

I should invent a motorcycle style chain oiler for my regular commuter.

Post Thanks / Like

Just think of what people would say if a car dealer asked for 3/4 the list price of a car for an oil change and 10,000 mile service.

12. Likes hozn, rcannon100 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey, I'll change the air in your tires for only $150.

14. Likes rcannon100 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In my personal experience, when folks are itching to ride on a beautiful weekend day in the springtime and they bring a bike into the shop, they're usually met with a smile and a smaller-than-originally-thought tab (if any at all). Service at 3/4 the price of MSRP to service a bike (and a week-plus sitting in the labor board) that's just been sitting in a garage over the winter is disgusting. Obviously, there are some service managers and shop owners that would disagree with me.