Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let's Bike the Silver Line Extension! (No Drop Ride)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Let's Bike the Silver Line Extension! (No Drop Ride)

Fresh off a great Purple Line ride in Maryland, it’s time to give some Virginia transit love. For this, let’s bike the Silver Line Extension!

Keeping with the transit theme, this ride will have multiple options for ride length based around Metro stations, and we will visit every station (Phase 1 and Phase 2) from East Falls Church to the future end of the Silver Line in Ashburn. Riders will get to see routes around Tysons and Wolf Trap, new developments around parts of Loudoun County, eat some delicious barbecue food, and even find out how to bike to Dulles Airport (you actually can!). The return trip will be easy and follow the W&OD Trail all the way back to the East Falls Church Metro. There will be 2 meeting places on the route, as explained in the ride info below:

Saturday, June 17

• Phase 1 (Longer route) Meeting Place – 8:00 a.m. near the bike racks at East Falls Church Metro
    • Phase 2 (Shorter route) Meeting Place – 10:15 a.m. near Capital Bikeshare station at Wiehle-Reston East Metro
    • Full Route: (Strava) https://www.strava.com/routes/8422237 (MapMyRide) http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/1597405771
    • Expected length: between 38 miles and 67 miles (4.5 to 8 hours including breaks)
    • Fitness/experience: some hills, should be comfortable riding in traffic, casual pace (10-12 mph average)
    • Weird clothing requirement: Wear Silver (enough to make Silver Surfer turn green with envy!)

Estimated Itinerary – Saturday, June 17

• 8:00 a.m. – Phase 1 Meet at East Falls Church Metro (near bike racks)
    • 8:15 a.m. – Tour of every Phase 1 Silver Line station from East Falls Church to Wiehle-Reston East (17.7 miles)
    • 10:15 a.m. – Phase 2 Meet at Wiehle-Reston East Metro (near Capital Bikeshare station)
    • 10:30 a.m. – Tour of every Phase 2 Silver Line station from Wiehle-Reston East to Ashburn (26.9 miles)
    • 1:00 p.m. – Lunch at Carolina Brothers BBQ (best baked beans in VA, according to me) in Ashburn, next to W&OD Trail
    • 2:00 p.m. – Ride back on W&OD Trail
    • 3:00 p.m. – Arrival at Wiehle-Reston East Metro (10.7 miles)
    • 4:00 p.m. – Arrival at East Falls Church Metro (11.6 miles)

Riders have the option to shorten their route by taking the Metro Silver Line, skipping the Phase 1 portion (17.7 miles), and joining the group at the Wiehle-Reston East station at 10:15 a.m. Riders can also shorten the post-lunch portion of the route by getting on the Metro Silver Line at the Wiehle-Reston East station. Shortening both pre-lunch and post-lunch portions of the route will leave you with a nice 38 miles for the day.

I put a lot of thought into this and hope that the plan works for everyone interested. Let me know if you're up for this!

(Edit) In case you need to contact me before/during/after the ride, my cell # is 571-201-7189.
    Last edited by bobco85; 06-15-2017 at 10:09 AM. Reason: adding MapMyRide route map; also added phone number

Post Thanks / Like

I think today's DCBR experience proved that I'm semi-functional waking up early enough to make this work (though not by this point of the day), so pencil me in.

3. Likes bobco85 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LhasaCM View Post
    I think today's DCBR experience proved that I'm semi-functional waking up early enough to make this work (though not by this point of the day), so pencil me in.
    No worries! I figure this time range would work better for most people, as they would be able to get home by dinnertime.

5. Likes LhasaCM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobco85 View Post
    No worries! I figure this time range would work better for most people, as they would be able to get home by dinnertime.
    Yeah...not that I could form a cogent thought last night, but I was trying to work backwards from starting in EFC at 8AM, what time I'd need to leave home in NE DC to make sure that happens, and what time I'd have to wake up. I'm not much of a morning person, so Sunday's DCBR was a good test of "can I wake up early and, at a moderate pace, bike around a while." Assuming of course I try to bike the whole thing, which would end up making that day my first century (or close enough that I'd be silly not to keep riding around).

The beauty of a transit-oriented ride is that there are plenty of opportunities to alter individual plans should conditions warrant.

7. Likes bobco85 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I just tested the route today, and I found that a few detours were necessary due to ongoing construction. I have updated the route map and added a MapMyRide version of the route. They are both in the first post on this thread in addition to the calendar event details.

9. Likes Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I think I can...!

Hey Bobco! I just found out that my son's coming to visit that weekend, so..... I'm probably not gonna be doing bike MS then after all. (I hate fundraising anyhow....I'm on track with the training, though!)

I'm not much of a morning person either (the only reason I don't go to the coffee clubs with all you awesome people!) But I can do it once in awhile, and I was planning to do it that day for bike MS anyhow..... I live about a mile and a half from the EFC metro, so I'm gonna plan to meet you there!

11. Likes Bob James, bobco85 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am planning on coming with you on this ride, though I may have to bail after lunch to make it to a different engagement that day. Any tips on where to find silver clothing?

13. Likes bobco85 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I picked up silver (okay, they're light gray since they're not shiny, but I'll take what I can get!) clothing through a combination of Amazon and bike store luck.

Since I won't be shiny, I'm considering the use of aluminum foil attachments to my bike...

...(oh, this is gonna be fun)...

15. Likes CBGanimal liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobco85 View Post
    I picked up silver (okay, they're light gray since they're not shiny, but I'll take what I can get!) clothing through a combination of Amazon and bike store luck.

Since I won't be shiny, I'm considering the use of aluminum foil attachments to my bike...

...(oh, this is gonna be fun)...
    A braver person than I would consider https://www.betabrand.com/disco-sport-shorts.html

I am aiming for comfort (so more gray than silver) in the hopes of making it through the day...

17. Likes bobco85 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not sure I can make it, but if someone wants to borrow my silver lamé shorts or sparkle disco dress, let me know and I'll see if I can dig them up

Silver Lame Shorts @ the Liberty Jamboree 2013 by ricky d, on Flickr

Wednesdays @ Wakefield Drag Race by ricky d, on Flickr

19. ELITE bobco85 ELITED this post