Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chump stumper - rear derailleur

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huskerdont View Post
    Opted for the smallest cog since this is a triple and I can go to the small ring if needed. Barring other ideas, next step is to eventually take to different shop to see if mount on frame is bent (no derailleur hanger). Mount could have been bent in wreck, and it maybe does look possibly a little wonky.

Or I could just ride it since it’s now shifting like an (8-speed) dream.
    I don't have any advice for you except the bolded bit.

2. Likes huskerdont liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Drewdane View Post
    I don't have any advice for you except the bolded bit.
    Yeah, this shop has been good to me over the years, doing things like replacing a shattered chain ring while I was at work, so this is why I didn't name names, and I'll eventually give them another chance. But I was disappointed. Maybe it was just this one mechanic. And I should have probably insisted on getting the same level of chain (and a new one), so it's partly on me.

Post Thanks / Like

Limits from limiting screws are fine--the derailleur can move to all positions, it just doesn't want to stay on the largest cog unless I adjust it so much that it won't go to the smallest.
    How are you accomplishing this?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasyRider View Post
    How are you accomplishing this?
    With the adjuster.

6. Likes hozn liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Your derailleur hanger doesn't really look bent to me, but as you say, not a great picture. Maybe, it's off a bit since your wreck. Certainly a bent hanger is a suspect, because ever since then, with new chains and new rear derailleurs and new cassettes, you've had trouble getting the chain onto the largest cogs and keeping it there.

No offense intended, but if it's not a bent derailleur hanger, I'd look at installation error, since you've replaced most everything else, and the problem you had with the Sora RD is now repeating itself with the Tiagra. Even improper pinch bolt orientation can influence shifting. If you've already followed the Big Blue Book to a 't', then disregard.

Re: the sticky link chain from the bin ... did the LBS install it for you, or did they sell it to you and you installed it yourself? I wouldn't be in a hurry to return to a shop that installed a new chain without checking it's operation through the range of gears -- especially if they knew the last chain had snapped in use and caused the bike to wreck!

8. Likes huskerdont liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A hanger can be bent enough to cause issues and not be visibly bent. A hanger checker in good hands is the way to tell. Sounds like 1. A mismatch between the index shifter and RD pull ratios. 2 slop in the system. 3. Something else not described but discover-able in person.

Bring it over. Much to my kids embarrassment I tend to yell "stump the chump" and general answers at the radio when I recover from laughing at/with Click and Clack the Tappet brothers.
    Last edited by Vicegrip; 05-09-2017 at 03:05 PM.

10. Likes huskerdont liked this post
    hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think this is related, but it does look from your picture like you could probably back out your b-screw and get the RD guide wheel closer to the cogs.

I find the RD alignment tool is pretty handy. You are welcome to borrow mine if you want to swing by Westover.

12. Likes huskerdont liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vicegrip View Post
    A hanger can be bent enough to cause issues and not be visibly bent. A hanger checker in good hands is the way to tell. Sounds like 1. A mismatch between the index shifter and RD pull ratios. 2 slop in the system. 3. Something else not described but discover-able in person.

Bring it over. Much to my kids embarrassment I tend to yell "stump the chump" and general answers at the radio when I recover from laughing at/with Click and Clack the Tappet brothers.
    My GF thinks it's ridiculous when the caller says, "there's a chirping noise when I..."

And I immediately start yelling, "it's the tensioner pulley, it's the tensioner pulley!!!"

Or, "oh yeah, '06 Audi 1.8Ts have bad cam followers... DUH!"

Once a mechanic, always a mechanic...

14. Likes huskerdont liked this post
    ELITE Vicegrip ELITED this post
    Post Thanks / Like

@ easyrider: I installed it, each time. Always have done chains myself and have never had problems. The first one broke far away from the quick link, so it wasn't due to some error of separating the links to shorten. The mech did question it, but looked and could see that. I think he probably also asked about chain length and crosschaining.

I don't have the Big Blue Book, but have Todd Down's Bicycling Maintenance Guide. I'm no real mechanic, just like to do things myself if I can, so I certainly could have done something wrong, for instance the b screw hozn mentions, which I played around with but probably don't have right.

@ vicegrip: will PM you back.

@ hozn: I think I'm going to get a RD alignment tool, eventually. I think you're right about the b-screw. I had put it further away because the pulley was very close to the largest cog; perhaps I got it too far away.

Rode the bike today and it shifted very nicely ... without me trying to get it into the largest cog, of course.

Post Thanks / Like

@ easyrider: I installed it, each time. Always have done chains myself and have never had problems. The first one broke far away from the quick link, so it wasn't due to some error of separating the links to shorten. The mech did question it, but looked and could see that. I think he probably also asked about chain length and crosschaining.

I don't have the Big Blue Book, but have Todd Down's Bicycling Maintenance Guide. I'm no real mechanic, just like to do things myself if I can, so I certainly could have done something wrong, for instance the b screw hozn mentions, which I played around with but probably don't have right.

@ vicegrip: will PM you back.

@ hozn: I think I'm going to get a RD alignment tool, eventually. I think you're right about the b-screw. I had put it further away because the pulley was very close to the largest cog; perhaps I got it too far away.

Rode the bike today and it shifted very nicely ... without me trying to get it into the largest cog, of course.
    My wife was bending her rear derailleur hangers (and occasionally derailleurs) every few months, which led me to getting my very own Park DAG 2.2 (Derailleur Alignment Gauge). Now, I rarely need it. I think she's learning to crash on her left side more...

17. Likes huskerdont liked this post