Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Sign on W&OD in Sterling telling drivers not to stop for cyclists/pedestrians

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    Caught a bit of a news report this morning that said that VDOT had removed the signs.
    Yay, the sign was removed! http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/lo...421670963.html

I'd personally attend a bonfire for the sign, if there is one.

2. Likes GovernorSilver liked this post
    hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan von Buckingham View Post
    Or godammit, if we're going to steal a great European idea like ROW xwalks, can't we steal the whole freakin' idea, you know with the zigzag lane marking telling people to stop for a xwalk and NOT OVERTAKE IN THAT ZONE.

So simple it's already been figured out.

Ironically this intersection actually used to have the euro-style zigzag lines! Only such example on the W&OD (or anywhere else I have seen in this country). Apparently some folks from the county went over to somewhere in Europe and thought that was a good idea. But no one knew what they meant or weren't proper US road marking or something, I guess, so they went away when they repaved there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    Ironically this intersection actually used to have the euro-style zigzag lines! Only such example on the W&OD (or anywhere else I have seen in this country). Apparently some folks from the county went over to somewhere in Europe and thought that was a good idea. But no one knew what they meant or weren't proper US road marking or something, I guess, so they went away when they repaved there.
    Ah, that's what that is. I can't remember exactly where I saw those zig-zag lines, but I went on a few trips out west earlier this year and LOL'd when I saw them the first few times thinking the road painter was drunk Maybe Sedona, or somewhere else in Arizona?

5. Likes hozn liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I remember those lines. I had no idea that they were supposed to mean something to drivers, so on the assumption the zig-zags were uniform through the length of the line I used them to help judge the speed of oncoming traffic. They worked great for that purpose.

7. Likes hozn liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ironically this intersection actually used to have the euro-style zigzag lines! Only such example on the W&OD (or anywhere else I have seen in this country).
    Pretty sure they also had them in Ashburn at the Belmont Ridge Road crossing. Not sure if they are still there as I know they are prepping that area for a new overpass.

9. Likes hozn liked this post
    hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Subby View Post
    Pretty sure they also had them in Ashburn at the Belmont Ridge Road crossing. Not sure if they are still there as I know they are prepping that area for a new overpass.
    Ah, I didn't remember them there, but maybe so. That is an example of an intersection where the flashing yellow light made a big difference . That used to be a terrifying intersection.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VA2DC View Post
    You wear a leather helmet and carry a football on your rides? Seriously, though, what do you do to bring traffic to a halt?
    Oh, I was referring to the Heisman Trophy gesture, simply hold my palm out assertively at the START of the crossing, watch motorists struggle with braking, make sure no rear-end collisions occur, then cross once the dust settles. Works surprisingly well!

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

12. Likes Steve O, ginacico, Judd, drevil, Tania liked this post