Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Right Hook King St at Upland, Alexandria

Post Thanks / Like

Default Right Hook King St at Upland, Alexandria

Wednesday afternoon I was heading east in the King St bike lane down the hill at about 4:45pm. As it was more or less rush hour traffic was moving slow. At the intersection of King and Upland I was right hooked by a car turning into Upland. I had enough time to slow to what I estimate was less than 10 mph before I impacted the right rear quarter panel of the car. Driver stopped in the middle of the intersection. I hit the ground and skinned a knee and an elbow. I called 911 myself and requested police and ambulance. I asked that a police report be written despite the police assessing there was no severe injury and property damage did not exceed $1500. I plan to go to APD and get a copy of the report. I was back on the bike Thursday morning. I was VERY lucky.

https://goo.gl/maps/CkG7JwEvf4v

2. Likes dasgeh, KLizotte liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad to see you out on your bike yesterday.

4. Likes LeprosyStudyGroup liked this post
    TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm assuming the driver turned across the lane rather than turning through it like they were supposed to...I kinda wish there were signs for this. Like, I'm okay with a driver "merging" into the bike lane in front of me to make a right turn. Abruptly making a 90 degree turn across my path, not so much.

6. Likes consularrider liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad you are ok.

Don't forget about reporting it at the WABA crash tracker.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you're okay. Many of these could be avoided if people would use their effing turn signals. Most of us are happy to slow down or go around on the left if we know people are turning.

9. Likes Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad you're okay, especially considering you made a quick reflex to prevent a worse outcome.

Did the police actually write a report on this crash? Getting Alexandria PD to do reports on vehicle/cyclist collisions when the damage has been less than the $1500 amount has been a point of contention lately as there are growing numbers of Alexandria residents (including Casey and myself) who were hit by cars and were unable to get the city to properly document these cases (right now, they aren't documenting them at all).

Post Thanks / Like

WTF is this $1500 nonsense? When did this start? Did anyone ask the new police chief about this when he attended the BPAC meeting?

Post Thanks / Like

Also I don't know whether I should be impressed at the consistency or appalled at the callousness when even a member of the Traffic and Parking Board like Casey can't get the police department to write a report on a collision he was involved in. That's incredible.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by peterw_diy View Post
    WTF is this $1500 nonsense? When did this start? Did anyone ask the new police chief about this when he attended the BPAC meeting?
    To answer your questions:
    • The $1500 threshold is not a requirement, but it's still at the officer's discretion on whether to write a report.
    • I don't know when the policy was put in place.
    • Yes, we did bring this up to the new police chief at the most recent meeting.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. What did the chief say?