Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: help figuring out which headset to get

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brett L. View Post
    Ha, the hoser. Tell him to take off, eh, the next time.
    Name:  Hoser.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  35.6 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jabberwocky View Post
    A lot of cheap stock headsets are totally unsealed. It doesn't surprise me at all. Rain runs right through the headset on my road bike. All I can do to give it a decent service interval is use a heavy marine grease that takes a long time to wash out.
    I would get any unit that uses sealed cartridge bearings. If it gets gritty, you just drop new ones in. No worrying about regular servicing. My experience with the thicker marine grease and basic unsealed 1" headsets is that if it is too thick the bearings actually don't roll around inside the retainer rings. The whole retainer ring and balls slides as a unit inside the cups and things wear quickly, so you get indexing in no time.

Lizard Skins makes a small neoprene/velcro cover that you can use to cover the bottom of your headset. It does a good job of keeping grit out of the lower races, especially if you are riding in muck without fenders. Only thing is, it doesn't work with CK headsets. You can't spend $100+ on a CK headset and then cover it with a 5 dollar scrap of fabric or the CK will self-destruct.

3. Likes hozn liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasyRider View Post
    I would get any unit that uses sealed cartridge bearings. If it gets gritty, you just drop new ones in. No worrying about regular servicing. My experience with the thicker marine grease and basic unsealed 1" headsets is that if it is too thick the bearings actually don't roll around inside the retainer rings. The whole retainer ring and balls slides as a unit inside the cups and things wear quickly, so you get indexing in no time.
    The one on my road bike has 11k+ miles on it (with plenty of bad weather since I commute on that bike) and its still ok. Underneath the headset gets black streaks over time from grease running out when it rains (its a white frame, so easily noticeable). Maybe once a season I pop the bearings out and throw them in the ultrasonic and then pack them with fresh grease. No issues with indexing thus far.

If it wasn't a weird size I would just toss a CK on there though. The ~$150 is worth not having to bother.

I do find that most cartridge headsets use weird bearing sizes that aren't always cheap to get. Replacement bearings for mine are almost the same cost as just replacing the headset. Though the headset is far from expensive to begin with.

Post Thanks / Like

Now not only do I have no clue what size to get, but I also have even less of an idea of what exactly I want.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tania View Post
    Now not only do I have no clue what size to get, but I also have even less of an idea of what exactly I want.
    I think the only logical solution is to get more bikes with each different kind of headset, ride them all thousands and thousands of miles, and figure out which one works best!

7. Likes Judd liked this post