Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Armed Forces Cycling Classic Challenge Ride

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    Starting position is a perennial issue. As long as Boeing is coughing up the bucks to sponsor, I don't see this changing.
    I don't have a problem letting the Boeing people go first, but seems ill advised to encourage *every* Boeing rider to go to the front. If you're going for gold, sure, but if you're just out for fun or going for bronze/silver, there's no need to start in the front. But whatevs...highly unlikely I'll do this again, so it's a moot point.

Really, my motivation for doing it was mostly ego driven. I have a co-worker who talks a big game--owns a $4000 bike with $1500 wheels and never shuts up about weight-weenie shit--but from what I can tell he can't ride more than like 30 miles at a stretch. For weeks he was bugging me about signing up and how he was going to crush the ride. So I signed up in part just to lap him. But I asked him about it last week and he was like, "I don't know if I'm gonna do it, I can't ride that far" and I'm pretty sure he skipped out entirely.

Of course that's petty, but I'm a 36 year old office worker so I have to take any chance I can to appear superior in a competition. Those kinds of opportunities are increasingly rare at this point.

2. Likes Birru, hozn, Steve O, Tania, huskerdont and 2 others liked this post
    ELITE bobco85, Amalitza, drevil, consularrider ELITED this post
    Mostly Frankfurt am Main with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelsDC View Post
    ... Of course that's petty, but I'm a 36 year old office worker so I have to take any chance I can to appear superior in a competition. Those kinds of opportunities are increasingly rare at this point.
    Try being a 65 year old retiree who can't podium any more even at the NOVA Senior Olympic cycling time trials.

4. Likes hozn, bobco85, Judd liked this post
    ELITE rcannon100 ELITED this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Having the Boeing people up front was actually a decent way to keep speeds down going through the first couple corners where it's narrow and there's a lot of riders bunched together. I didn't have issues with any of the Boeing riders once we were out on the bigger highways. The slower riders stayed in the right lane and were easy to get around.

Post Thanks / Like

Really, my motivation for doing it was mostly ego driven. I have a co-worker who talks a big game--owns a $4000 bike with $1500 wheels and never shuts up about weight-weenie shit--but from what I can tell he can't ride more than like 30 miles at a stretch. For weeks he was bugging me about signing up and how he was going to crush the ride. So I signed up in part just to lap him. But I asked him about it last week and he was like, "I don't know if I'm gonna do it, I can't ride that far" and I'm pretty sure he skipped out entirely.
    I find these people hysterical. I spent the week passing a bunch of people from the Metropolitan Atlanta Cycling Club that had the cleanest bikes that I've ever seen with super aero carbon wheels. I was on a Trek Crossrip with stickers all over it and a trunk bag on the rack.

I remember the angst I had about buying my first brand new bike for $600 because I wasn't sure if I would ride it enough.

Post Thanks / Like

I find these people hysterical. I spent the week passing a bunch of people from the Metropolitan Atlanta Cycling Club that had the cleanest bikes that I've ever seen with super aero carbon wheels. I was on a Trek Crossrip with stickers all over it and a trunk bag on the rack.

I remember the angst I had about buying my first brand new bike for $600 because I wasn't sure if I would ride it enough.
    Just as I rarely get too intimidated by those with hyper-expensive bikes, I also never underestimate those with clunkers. I've been schooled by too many people with bikes 1/10 the cost of mine

8. Likes Birru, AFHokie liked this post
    TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't get me wrong, I like having nice components and stuff and I geek out over upgrades (like going tubeless or the prospect of to going electronic shifting on my road bike), but there's a limit...like buying a $4000 bike, deciding the included alloy wheels aren't light enough, then putting $1500 carbon wheels on instead to ride to Reston and back on the W&OD. I especially don't get the weight weenie stuff. Like I said to my co-worker, "it's cheaper and more effective to just go on a diet." But whatever, him buying all that expensive lightweight shit just makes the regular shit cheaper...and if he wants to spend his money that way then more power to him. I do reserve the right to giggle when I pass him on the trail though.

10. Likes drevil, rcannon100 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Gateway drug.

12. Likes Birru, rcannon100 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Amalitza View Post
    Gateway drug.
    I was talking to my dad last night and he asked if I ended up buying the carbon fiber bike I was talking about the last time we discussed bikes (which was well over a year ago.)

And I was like... "ummm...yeah... I have six bikes now."

14. Likes Vicegrip, hozn, drevil, Tania liked this post
    ELITE Sunyata ELITED this post
    rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by consularrider View Post
    Try being a 65 year old retiree who can't podium any more even at the NOVA Senior Olympic cycling time trials.
    Yah you still cycle laps around me. Do you think we can petition for a Grand Grand Grand Masters division to races??

16. Likes hozn liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a co-worker who talks a big game--owns a $4000 bike with $1500 wheels and never shuts up about weight-weenie shit--but from what I can tell he can't ride more than like 30 miles at a stretch.

I must admit, while I was passed by enough people, I did find a certain sense of accomplishment when I passed someone with the really high end bike with wheels that cost more than my bike. But, I wasn't riding against their time, I got my 9 laps in and that is all I was looking for.