Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Armed Forces Cycling Classic Challenge Ride

Steve O is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Armed Forces Cycling Classic Challenge Ride

The Armed Forces (formerly Air Force) Cycling Classic weekend is scheduled for June 10-11. The Challenge Ride, as usual, is Sunday morning: 7am-10am.

I just received an email that they have adjusted the route due to the Washington Blvd bridge construction. Now lamer than before, it will not include the Air Force Memorial hill. Here's the new map:
    Name:  challenge new route.JPG
Views: 288
Size:  69.6 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Due to the shorter loop, the number of laps needed for each medal level went up this year as well.

I'm signed up, but I also volunteered to marshal so that I can hang back and avoid the bloodbath.

Post Thanks / Like

Darn...I was looking forward to climbing that hill!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mostly Frankfurt am Main with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

So the average speeds will be higher?

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

After like 5 years, I'm finally able to do this...If I don't get a gold medal my bike is going in the river!

Also, I assume peeps are watching Clarendon Cup on Saturday? This year I'm going to try and get out early to spend more time spectating. So if people wanna hang or whatever then, yeah...let's do that.

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelsDC View Post
    After like 5 years, I'm finally able to do this...If I don't get a gold medal my bike is going in the river!

Also, I assume peeps are watching Clarendon Cup on Saturday? This year I'm going to try and get out early to spend more time spectating. So if people wanna hang or whatever then, yeah...let's do that.
    Maybe we'll see you there (at Clarendon). My youngest wants to do the kids race. He was really upset last year when it ended after 300 yards, so I guess he'll do the full loop this year.

Post Thanks / Like

I will be checking out the Clarendon Cup today. I will be the tall-ish goofy guy with a camera and a brown shoulder bag and grey hat with a bike embroidered on it taking pictures and video of the event. If you see me stop me and say HI!

I will also be riding in the Challenge on Sunday.

8. Likes CBGanimal liked this post
    TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, check that one off the list. I think I finished my nine laps with 10-15 minutes to spare based on the pace car's position relative to me. I saw the aftermath of one crash, but it didn't look horrific (not to downplay...I think someone slid out in a corner), but everything was generally fine. My main complaint was that they started all the Boeing riders at the front, even though like 75% of them had no business being there. They also didn't start people in any discernible order. I think starting everyone by planned pace would've been way better.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelsDC View Post
    Well, check that one off the list. I think I finished my nine laps with 10-15 minutes to spare based on the pace car's position relative to me. I saw the aftermath of one crash, but it didn't look horrific (not to downplay...I think someone slid out in a corner), but everything was generally fine. My main complaint was that they started all the Boeing riders at the front, even though like 75% of them had no business being there. They also didn't start people in any discernible order. I think starting everyone by planned pace would've been way better.
    Starting position is a perennial issue. As long as Boeing is coughing up the bucks to sponsor, I don't see this changing.

I hope everyone that participated this year had a good time. I was still traveling back to DC so I wasn't able to make it this year. I gave fleeting thought last night of driving all night to get back at 6 a.m., do the ride and then go to sleep for the rest of the day.

Steve O is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I was an "ambassador." It seems that the organizers forgot entirely about us. There were no instructions, no spare tubes, no phone numbers to call. Nothing. This ball got seriously dropped. I was helping one rider with a flat and the Conte's official SAG car came up. We asked if they had a better pump than my little hand pump. They said no. Really? Not even a regular floor pump?

The course did not have the AF Memorial Hill on it, I think that contributed to much longer pace lines continuing throughout the ride. The hill tends to break those up.
    That said, it didn't seem quite as crowded as past years. Were there fewer participants, I wonder?

All in all, though, it seems the riders were having an enjoyable ride.
    The only rider I know personally who I saw along the way was Rod Smith.