Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: May 2017 Trail and Road Conditions

Steve O is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default May 2017 Trail and Road Conditions

I am pleased to report that the paving at the TR Island bridge was completed today as I was standing there. The workers did a great job expediting the paving and then helping a group of us sneak by while they were still working. The entire closure was probably less than 15 minutes.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TR closure.JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	71.3 KB 
ID:	14699Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new pavement.JPG 
Views:	55 
Size:	75.3 KB 
ID:	14700

Post Thanks / Like

Default NW Branch Trail Bridge Out

(Hyattsville, MD) - Based on reports both on this forum (kudos to Greenbelt, Brett L, and Bryan on Strava for alerting me to this) and the following Tweet https://twitter.com/MattDLiddle/stat...65117829550081 , the bridge directly west of the West Hyattsville Metro on the Northwest Branch Trail is closed for repairs for an unspecified length of time.

Picture from @MattDLiddle 's tweet:

Name:	nwBranchClosure.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	99.4 KB 
ID:	14702

Based on the suggestion of @ktharris08, I made the following detour maps:

Name:	NWBranchDetour_political.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	89.6 KB 
ID:	14703Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NWBranchDetour_satellite.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	102.1 KB 
ID:	14704

mstone is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

There's some kind of something on the ramp from W&OD to FFX Co Parkway trail. Big hole in the ground and a temporary gravel trail. Sightline is fine going toward the WOD but it's a bit of an unsigned surprise the other way. Temporary trail is narrow and the gravel loose on the edges with some sharp turns. Points for effort, but be careful.

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone know what's up with the former meadowy area (now cleared) just east of Carlin Springs Road @ the W&OD? There used to be a desire trail thru there, and there was brief talk a while back about paving that trail. Since then I thought the idea was to leave it "as natural as possible"...and now it is clear cut. What's next?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JustinW View Post
    Does anyone know what's up with the former meadowy area (now cleared) just east of Carlin Springs Road @ the W&OD? There used to be a desire trail thru there, and there was brief talk a while back about paving that trail. Since then I thought the idea was to leave it "as natural as possible"...and now it is clear cut. What's next?
    Can somebody please post a photo of this?

Post Thanks / Like

I passed through there the other day and saw the area had been cleared. There is an informational sign posted, but I did not stop to read it. However, there were a few other areas along the W&OD with clearings and signs that talked about invasive plant removal. I'll pass by there this afternoon to confirm.

Steve O is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobco85 View Post
    I passed through there the other day and saw the area had been cleared. There is an informational sign posted, but I did not stop to read it. However, there were a few other areas along the W&OD with clearings and signs that talked about invasive plant removal. I'll pass by there this afternoon to confirm.
    Signs say invasive plant removal.
    The project to create a trail connector spur there died an ignominious death a year or so ago.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    Signs say invasive plant removal.
    The project to create a trail connector spur there died an ignominious death a year or so ago.
    I hope that's just Step 1 then. All they did is bushhog it. Otherwise we just have Step 3 = bunch of brown stubble where green used to be.

Post Thanks / Like

I assumed this was just the usual "Desertification Under the Power Lines" program that Dominion Power periodically engages in along the W&OD to make sure the low brush does not somehow blow into the high-tension wires during a wind event.

mstone is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bentbike33 View Post
    I assumed this was just the usual "Desertification Under the Power Lines" program that Dominion Power periodically engages in along the W&OD to make sure the low brush does not somehow blow into the high-tension wires during a wind event.
    yeah, nothing's worse than losing a transmission line to a shrubbery

11. Likes bentbike33 liked this post