Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shrubbery.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	12.4 KB 
ID:	14713

2. Likes bentbike33 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JustinW View Post
    Does anyone know what's up with the former meadowy area (now cleared) just east of Carlin Springs Road @ the W&OD? There used to be a desire trail thru there, and there was brief talk a while back about paving that trail. Since then I thought the idea was to leave it "as natural as possible"...and now it is clear cut. What's next?
    Well, it seems the bike advocates in Arlington mistakenly asked the County for the trail connection. Could have saved a year by asking Dominion.

4. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Disappearing sidewalk

The lack of sidewalk on the Ballston to Custis connecter surprised me today. No warning at all.

6. ELITE Judd ELITED this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chris_s View Post
    Can somebody please post a photo of this?
    I just took some pics of some of the areas that were cleared. From what I saw, the cleared area was on the south side of W&OD from the Bluemont Junction caboose to the shelter/v-ball pit in Bluemont Park and on the east side of Carlin Springs Rd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Likes dasgeh, huskerdont liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by annoyedindc View Post
    The lack of sidewalk on the Ballston to Custis connecter surprised me today. No warning at all.

I, too, was surprised at this yesterday on my ride home. The sand/cinder gravel is soft and quite deep in places. They really should put up a sign. Hitting that at speed was a little... interesting.

#crossiscoming

10. Likes bobco85 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

No issues on the CCT as of this morning.

americancyclo is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sunyata View Post
    I, too, was surprised at this yesterday on my ride home. The sand/cinder gravel is soft and quite deep in places. They really should put up a sign. Hitting that at speed was a little... interesting.

#crossiscoming
    A little signage would be nice. Had to sneak around to find the connector trail to stay on pavement. Also noticed a sign going the opposite direction advising people to cross the road on an unmarked highway on ramp. doesn't seem like the best idea.

Post Thanks / Like

Frankly, instead of signage, they should convert the right lane of westbound Fairfax into a temporary two-way trail separated by barriers. The two on-ramp lanes condense into one before merging onto I-66 anyway.

This is a dangerous situation for trail users. There is an obvious solution with very little impact on driver convenience. What would a "bicycle-friendly community" do?

14. Likes consularrider, dasgeh, Steve O, huskerdont liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scoot View Post
    What would a "bicycle-friendly community" do?
    Oh, I know this one! Do nothing and have people fend for themselves?

Post Thanks / Like

Actually, now that I think about it, the impact on drivers would not be insignificant. Having just one lane right there would greatly reduce throughput of the Glebe/Fairfax intersection. Half as many drivers could turn from northbound Glebe onto westbound Fairfax during the limited arrow time, for instance. A lot of drivers might try cutting through N Wakefield to avoid the longer lines in the turn lane at Fairfax.

Still though, safety should not be compromised on account of traffic congestion.