Thread: Spring Clean-up Find: 1985 Puegeot PGN-10

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spring Clean-up Find: 1985 Puegeot PGN-10

I've been driving around Alexandria picking up people's trash for years on Spring Clean-up Fridays. I ran out of space at home for stuff a long time ago, so mostly it's re-usable items that can be donated to the building-reuse warehouse or bike co-ops for a tax write off.

This year I picked up two bikes from Old Town, one of which was an all original 1985 Peugeot PGN-10. It's Peugeot's 3rd-best steel bike from 1985, full Reynolds 501, marketed to triathletes and amateur racers. It's my size, and I've decided to fix it up, ride it side-by-side with my other vintage 12-speed, and see which one I want to keep. The Soma is 57, and I usually ride a 60, which is what the Peugeot is. Despite obvious neglect, it's still in pretty good shape. The spoke washers are rusting a little, or the spokes themselves inside the rims, which is my biggest concern. The original saddle, bar tape, gum hoods, brake housing and cables, shift cables, and chain all have to go. It's got a neat quill seatpost, so no seatpost binder bolt at all - very clean looking.

I haven't even gotten to wipe it down completely yet but I'm looking forward to this project. Maybe I'll even find time to ride it!

2. Likes anomad, jrenaut liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

it's raining bikes. I pulled this basic SS/FG from the Patuxent by my office today. Rust on the spokes, rusty gunky water pouring from every hole. I suppose the tubes and tires are still good - they're holding air. Headset spacers and other aluminum parts should be ok, too. I wonder how sealed "sealed" bearings are.