Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "No to Railroad Cottages" signs along W&OD in Falls Church

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Drewdane View Post
    I live right around the corner from the proposed development. The idea is it's going to be a retirement community of sorts - not full-service, but geared towards independent elder living. The problem in a nutshell is that it's too much crammed into too little space. There isn't enough parking allotted on the property for the number of units proposed, and street parking along railroad avenue is already problematic at best, never mind after the introduction of 11 (IIRC) cottages. Nobody's opposed to the development per se, just the scope.

Let's see. It .8 miles to the WFC metro station. Its even closer to the proposed route of the Rte 7 BRT line (and some existing bus service). It is right on the region's premier bike/ped trail. I would say an ideal location for car free or car lite living.

But sure, lets grant that street parking is tight. So, how about permit parking, with the price for the permit set to clear the market. Or is that too radical?

BTW, it is ten units, with 13 offstreet parking spaces. So we are not talking car free to have zero parking impact, but only car lite. And only two thirds need to be car lite, not all.
    Last edited by lordofthemark; 05-01-2017 at 09:38 AM.

TwoWheelsDC is online now I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Very similar to the fight over "Sunrise" in McLean...apparently building assisted-living facilities in low density suburbs with relatively aged populations is controversial...

http://www.bizjournals.com/washingto...ject-from.html

3. Likes rcannon100 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasyRider View Post
    Not sure one could call it affordable or family housing. It's an age-restricted development, for those 55 and older. Not sure if it's also a "no-kids" development or if that's just a a softer way of advertising the same. At $600K a pop, it doesn't really seem "affordable" to me, but I guess everything is relative. For better or worse, I think a community of well to do retired people living steps from the path will exert A LOT influence on the future of the W&OD in Falls Church.
    Single Family House is a RE term meaning not multifamily - it does not refer to the marital status or presence of children of the residents.

As for affordable, I don't think there are many(if any) new homes (not condos) selling for under 600k anywhere in NoVa inside the beltway. Its relatively affordable, and by absorbing some of the demand, helps with affordability down the ladder. We sure aren't going to improve affordability by not allowing new units in this price range.

As for influence, I would hope A. It would draw people who LIKE the trail B. If it does not, I would hope that City of FC would have appropriate skepticism towards people who have "moved to a nuisance"

Edit - per Redfin, there is ONE two year old house for sale in Lincolnia, for exactly 600k.
    Last edited by lordofthemark; 05-01-2017 at 09:31 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

One thing to watch, I found this on the Fire Marshal Plan (last page of the application). It shows the fire truck turn-around which appears to overlap the trail. I don't have a problem with the fire dept. doing this, but there should be bollards to separate the road from the trail that only the FD can remove.
    Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  105.6 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure one could call it affordable or family housing. It's an age-restricted development, for those 55 and older. Not sure if it's also a "no-kids" development or if that's just a a softer way of advertising the same. At $600K a pop, it doesn't really seem "affordable" to me, but I guess everything is relative. For better or worse, I think a community of well to do retired people living steps from the path will exert A LOT influence on the future of the W&OD in Falls Church.
    I don't find $600k affordable either, but for a modern house in the city it is. There are also older folks in the city with fixed incomes and larger homes they bought decades ago. So it might make sense for them to sell those homes and downsize to one of these "affordable" units.

TwoWheelsDC is online now I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Median list price in that corner of FC is $788,000. Just across Broad to the east, it's over $1 million. So $600k is actually pretty "affordable" for that area of Falls Church. I'm also guessing that the seniors that are the target audience will be relatively wealthy and looking to "downsize" from larger homes further out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelsDC View Post
    Median list price in that corner of FC is $788,000. Just across Broad to the east, it's over $1 million. So $600k is actually pretty "affordable" for that area of Falls Church. I'm also guessing that the seniors that are the target audience will be relatively wealthy and looking to "downsize" from larger homes further out.
    I guess everyone missed the part where I wrote, "At $600K a pop, it doesn't really seem "affordable" to me, but I guess everything is relative.".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Drewdane View Post
    Nobody's opposed to the development per se, just the scope.
    A classic NIMBY quote! "I'm not opposed to development in the abstract; I just oppose every specific development because they're all wrong."

I think a development like this is a great idea, since for the most part sensible "downsizing" housing doesn't exist in this area. Maybe I'm biased because I just became an empty-nester and am creeping up on meeting the age restriction (sigh).

I haven't read through the proposal and so don't have an opinion on this development vis a vis the W&OD, but I don't think this community would be any worse for the trail than the many other adjacent private parcels.

10. Likes Tania liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by accordioneur View Post
    A classic NIMBY quote! "I'm not opposed to development in the abstract; I just oppose every specific development because they're all wrong."

I think a development like this is a great idea, since for the most part sensible "downsizing" housing doesn't exist in this area. Maybe I'm biased because I just became an empty-nester and am creeping up on meeting the age restriction (sigh).

I haven't read through the proposal and so don't have an opinion on this development vis a vis the W&OD, but I don't think this community would be any worse for the trail than the many other adjacent private parcels.
    I agree, but those of us who have to live next to the final result would simply like to see the housing/parking ratio rebalanced.

mstone is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

The whole damn world needs to revolve around car storage

13. Likes Steve O liked this post