Thread: so it's theoretically possible i might need new wheels...

Post Thanks / Like

Default so it's theoretically possible i might need new wheels...

This is what my front rim looks like at the hole for the valve stem . The rear is also starting to show some corrosion, but not nearly as bad.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2469.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	14683Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2472.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	82.2 KB 
ID:	14684

Astoundingly, I have been riding these tubeless at ~80-85 psi with no problem. I only found it because I hit the edge of a pothole, hard, and bent my rim. With the bent rim, it wouldn't seal up tubeless, so I put in a tube, so I took out the existing stem. Just threw in a tube leaving the glob of solidified sealant around the area more or less intact. (hey, it was on the side of the road with a group ride in the rain. I wasn't wasting time cleaning up the inside of my wheel!). A week later, I decided to take the tire off to assess the extent of the bent rim, and cleaned everything up, including the sealant around the stem hole. And oh look what I found! In case anyone wants to know what size of a hole might seal up with a bit o' sealant... (this didn't have additional tape over it or anything... "tubeless ready" rims, just a stem and sealant.)

I'm slightly freaked out that did a 200k, (about half of it solo after Sunyata left me eating her dust ), with these wheels just a couple weeks ago.
    (yeah, i had a tube with me and all...)

2. Likes jrenaut liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow I've never seen that before. What kind of sealant do you use, saltwater? Just kidding. I wonder if it was the dissimilar metals of the valve stem and the rim combined with the sealant that accelerated corrosion in that area. Granted I have very little experience with tubeless. Does tape help prevent that kind of corrosion?

You could certainly lace up a new rim or rims without going for a whole new wheelset. That might be more economical if you have lots of life left in the hubs and/or high end hubs.

hozn is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting. I have heard people say that tape saves rims, but I didn't believe it until now. Maybe switch to a different sealant. I know some don't have ammonia -- if that is the problem.
    Last edited by hozn; 04-30-2017 at 09:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anomad View Post
    Wow I've never seen that before. What kind of sealant do you use, saltwater? Just kidding. I wonder if it was the dissimilar metals of the valve stem and the rim combined with the sealant that accelerated corrosion in that area.
    Yeah, my best guess is it's a "brass stem + aluminum rim + Amalitza rides in all weather including wet and salted roads and doesn't clean her bike as often as she should after" problem, rather than a sealant (Stans) specific problem. The interwebs tell me I'm not the first person to see this, and that some people blame Stans (because ammonia) and others don't. The fact that the corrosion is only at the stem, where water incursion is most likely, and nowhere else , which would all have been exposed to sealant (the rest of the rim surfaces look pristine), makes me believe it is probably not the sealant. Probably.

Post Thanks / Like

Luescher Teknik over on YouTube has a study going on now for 4-5 years with different spoke nipples bathed in Stans. The only nipples that show corrosion are the non anodized variety.

7. Likes Birru liked this post
    vvill is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Clearly, you *need* carbon wheels!

9. Likes Amalitza, Sunyata, Vicegrip, hozn, Judd liked this post
    ELITE Amalitza ELITED this post
    Post Thanks / Like

But isn't the corrosion on the rim center channel and not the spoke bed? I guess I am not sure how these rims are constructed, but would have been surprised if the spoke nipples we're in contact with the rim bed.

Sent from my LEX727 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I just mentioned the Raul's video because he demonstrates unprotected aluminum will corrode a little. The corrosion here was around the valve stem.

Quote Originally Posted by hozn View Post
    But isn't the corrosion on the rim center channel and not the spoke bed? I guess I am not sure how these rims are constructed, but would have been surprised if the spoke nipples we're in contact with the rim bed.

Sent from my LEX727 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anomad View Post
    Yeah, I just mentioned the Raul's video because he demonstrates unprotected aluminum will corrode a little. The corrosion here was around the valve stem.
    Ah, I see; yes, that makes sense. Maybe tape just around valve stem would make sense.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vvill View Post
    Clearly, you *need* carbon wheels!
    Clearly!!!