Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cyclist nearly takes out a kid while running a red light

lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Note, I have been tempted to mention the universal jaywalking to the bus stop near my building in the context of discussions of "scofflaw cyclists" but then it occurs to me Alexandria Police might actually start ticketing (harmless, safe) jaywalkers there. So I keep quiet.

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crickey7 View Post
    I'm getting a bit of cognitive dissonance between the "we're not responsible for stereotyping" and the "it's okay to break laws we've decided are unnecessary." Simply put, I'm calling BS here.
    Not from me. I follow the laws unless I think that it's safer not too. I even stop at the red at Nash on the Custis (Marriot parking lot exit).

I just call bs on saying that one person is responsible for the biases of another. The biased person (and in many cases, a history of biased people), bear the responsibility for that.

We all human. Humans break rules. To expect other cyclists to be better than human for the sake of the cause is ridiculous.

That said, you should follow the rules because we live in a society and we all agreed to these rules to make our lives easier.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelsDC View Post
    Seems that if there's a sidewalk, there's always an implied crosswalk regardless of speed limit...unless I'm misreading part B below (which is totally possible, as it's confusing). If there's no sidewalk, there is still an implied crosswalk at every intersection, provided the speed limit is 35mph or below.

46.2-924
    Drivers to stop for pedestrians; installation of certain signs; penalty

A. The driver of any vehicle on a highway shall yield the right-of-way to any pedestrian crossing such highway:

1. At any clearly marked crosswalk, whether at mid-block or at the end of any block;

2. At any regular pedestrian crossing included in the prolongation of the lateral boundary lines of the adjacent sidewalk at the end of a block;

3. At any intersection when the driver is approaching on a highway or street where the legal maximum speed does not exceed 35 miles per hour.
    I think your reading is right. Sorry, I was going from memory

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I don't expect cyclists to be better than other humans. I just don't think actually stopping for red lights is even close to the line of impossible saintliness.

5. ELITE Judd ELITED this post
    lordofthemark is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crickey7 View Post
    I don't expect cyclists to be better than other humans. I just don't think actually stopping for red lights is even close to the line of impossible saintliness.
    Do you stop for the red light when approach a "go" leading pedestrian interval in DC? Would you stop for a red (assuming no pedestrians and no visible cross traffic at a location with decent visibility) when riding in Idaho?

Stopping for red lights is not impossible saintliness. Nor is walking 30 feet out of the way to a bus stop. Heck riding a Hains Point loop each time you ride into the District is not impossible either (as witness some people who do that). The question, to me, is A. Is it worth drawing a distinction between people who do what I call "proper Idahos" and people who ride dangerously in ways that put pedestrians in danger B. Is there a potential benefit from legalizing Idahos because then WABA and others could teach how to do them properly. You have said "there is no proper red light running" which I take to mean "there is no proper Idaho Stop at reds". I have not seen a compelling argument that that is so. That it is currently illegal in all local jurisdictions does not mean there is no proper Idaho stopping, just that proper Idaho stopping is illegal in our local jurisdictions (again with the exception of LPI's in DC).

7. Likes huskerdont liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    Heck riding a Hains Point loop each time you ride into the District is not impossible either (as witness some people who do that).
    It's kind of hard though. I might be a saint.

9. Likes Sunyata, lordofthemark, Emm, jrenaut liked this post
    jrenaut is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    Do you stop for the red light when approach a "go" leading pedestrian interval in DC?
    This has nothing to do with saintliness or not - a cyclist in DC may legally proceed on the LPI even if the traffic light is still red. This of course becomes complicated at pedestrian scramble intersections, but DDOT!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrenaut View Post
    a cyclist in DC may legally proceed on the LPI even if the traffic light is still red.
    Don't tell anyone, but I proceed on a LPI activated by the pedestrian beg button in my VA neighborhood.

Post Thanks / Like

This of course becomes complicated at pedestrian scramble intersections, but DDOT!
    I have one of those right next to my office. My rule of thumb is at that intersection (where every crossing becomes a walk signal at once), is that I act like a car and hold still, unless there REALLY isn't anyone there which almost never happens outside of days I'm at the office absurdly early or late. But what is legal? Can I proceed as long as I don't hit anyone? Not that I would since it's unlikely I'd make it through without crashing into a coworker, but I'm curious. For the light I'm waiting at, it's an LPI since it goes green after ~10-15 seconds when the other signals stay red.

Post Thanks / Like

This has nothing to do with saintliness or not - a cyclist in DC may legally proceed on the LPI even if the traffic light is still red. This of course becomes complicated at pedestrian scramble intersections, but DDOT!
    I read crikey as saying that "running" a red anywhere is wrong. AFAICT he is opposed to legal Idaho stops, because they are never proper, legality aside. He is not only opposed to cyclists violating the law, but to advocating for changing the law.