Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cyclist nearly takes out a kid while running a red light

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cyclist nearly takes out a kid while running a red light

Cyclist nearly takes out a kid this morning. Ran this light, the next, a couple of stop signs but got passed in the end. SMH.

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Why isn't there a crosswalk there? Did the kid jaywalk or is it just not painted?

Just curious

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

jrenaut is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    Why isn't there a crosswalk there? Did the kid jaywalk or is it just not painted?

Just curious

Aren't intersections like this considered "unpainted crosswalks" by law in Virginia? It definitely should be painted but I don't think VA law considers it any different if there is or isn't paint.

Post Thanks / Like

And your point is? The reality is that there are law breakers riding a bike, driving a vehicle, and walking on feet. I see this as a teaching moment for the kid, to look before crossing, and not just follow the signal. Relying on laws to protect you will kill you, every time.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

There are sidewalks on either side of this intersection with curb cuts. Neither side of the street has marks for crossing Cherry St. though. So, if it isn't a cross walk then there's no way to cross Cherry St. at all.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, the crosswalks on Hillwood Ave there aren't painted. The kid did nothing wrong, although they might want to practice not running into an intersection (for fear of right-on-red drivers).

Here's the intersection: https://goo.gl/maps/YSJmDSeFrKG2

Also, why run that red? IME the light cycle there isn't that long.

7. Likes Judd, lordofthemark liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I see this as another reason "all cyclists" are painted as jerks and scofflaws. The cyclist ran the light - and if he'd hit the runner he (the cyclist) would have been entirely at fault, crosswalk or not.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by f148vr View Post
    And your point is? The reality is that there are law breakers riding a bike, driving a vehicle, and walking on feet. I see this as a teaching moment for the kid, to look before crossing, and not just follow the signal. Relying on laws to protect you will kill you, every time.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    There is, pardon me, a proper way to break the law on a bike. When you come to a red, stop, look, then proceed through. IF there is no cross traffic, including no pedestrians. I tend to think its best not to Idaho when there are peds at any corner who might cross, but if that is too high a standard, certainly yielding to a ped who is actually starting to cross in front of you is the right thing.

Note, one of the reasons I support legalizing the Idaho stop, is that I would like orgs like WABA to be in the position to teach riders how to do a proper, safe, Idaho.

Of course people should walk (and bike and drive) defensively, assuming other road users will break the law, do the dangerous thing, etc. But don't doubt, a bike ped fatality is always going to be bad for the cause of cycling advocacy.

10. Likes huskerdont liked this post
    Dislikes Crickey7 disliked this post
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobco85 View Post
    Yeah, the crosswalks on Hillwood Ave there aren't painted. The kid did nothing wrong, although they might want to practice not running into an intersection (for fear of right-on-red drivers).

Here's the intersection: https://goo.gl/maps/YSJmDSeFrKG2

Also, why run that red? IME the light cycle there isn't that long.
    Thanks. I couldn't see the sidewalk coming in to the intersection in the video and didn't know the spot.

But no, one person is not responsible for the stereotypes or generalizations of a another person.

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrenaut View Post
    Aren't intersections like this considered "unpainted crosswalks" by law in Virginia? It definitely should be painted but I don't think VA law considers it any different if there is or isn't paint.
    Yep. Basically, a crosswalk exists in Virginia at every intersection of streets or sidewalk and street, whether there is paint or not.