Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 56

Thread: Cyclist nearly takes out a kid while running a red light

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    63
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Cyclist nearly takes out a kid while running a red light

    Cyclist nearly takes out a kid this morning. Ran this light, the next, a couple of stop signs but got passed in the end. SMH.


  2. #2
    dasgeh's Avatar
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    5,135
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Why isn't there a crosswalk there? Did the kid jaywalk or is it just not painted?

    Just curious

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    jrenaut's Avatar
    jrenaut is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Columbia Heights, DC
    Posts
    3,665
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    Why isn't there a crosswalk there? Did the kid jaywalk or is it just not painted?

    Just curious

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
    Aren't intersections like this considered "unpainted crosswalks" by law in Virginia? It definitely should be painted but I don't think VA law considers it any different if there is or isn't paint.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Falls Church
    Posts
    73
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    And your point is? The reality is that there are law breakers riding a bike, driving a vehicle, and walking on feet. I see this as a teaching moment for the kid, to look before crossing, and not just follow the signal. Relying on laws to protect you will kill you, every time.

    Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    63
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    There are sidewalks on either side of this intersection with curb cuts. Neither side of the street has marks for crossing Cherry St. though. So, if it isn't a cross walk then there's no way to cross Cherry St. at all.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Tukwila, WA
    Posts
    1,999
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Yeah, the crosswalks on Hillwood Ave there aren't painted. The kid did nothing wrong, although they might want to practice not running into an intersection (for fear of right-on-red drivers).

    Here's the intersection: https://goo.gl/maps/YSJmDSeFrKG2

    Also, why run that red? IME the light cycle there isn't that long.

  7. Likes Judd, lordofthemark liked this post
  8. #7
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    879
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I see this as another reason "all cyclists" are painted as jerks and scofflaws. The cyclist ran the light - and if he'd hit the runner he (the cyclist) would have been entirely at fault, crosswalk or not.

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    The forgotten corner of Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    2,471
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by f148vr View Post
    And your point is? The reality is that there are law breakers riding a bike, driving a vehicle, and walking on feet. I see this as a teaching moment for the kid, to look before crossing, and not just follow the signal. Relying on laws to protect you will kill you, every time.

    Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    There is, pardon me, a proper way to break the law on a bike. When you come to a red, stop, look, then proceed through. IF there is no cross traffic, including no pedestrians. I tend to think its best not to Idaho when there are peds at any corner who might cross, but if that is too high a standard, certainly yielding to a ped who is actually starting to cross in front of you is the right thing.

    Note, one of the reasons I support legalizing the Idaho stop, is that I would like orgs like WABA to be in the position to teach riders how to do a proper, safe, Idaho.

    Of course people should walk (and bike and drive) defensively, assuming other road users will break the law, do the dangerous thing, etc. But don't doubt, a bike ped fatality is always going to be bad for the cause of cycling advocacy.

  10. Likes huskerdont liked this post
    Dislikes Crickey7 disliked this post
  11. #9
    dasgeh's Avatar
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    5,135
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bobco85 View Post
    Yeah, the crosswalks on Hillwood Ave there aren't painted. The kid did nothing wrong, although they might want to practice not running into an intersection (for fear of right-on-red drivers).

    Here's the intersection: https://goo.gl/maps/YSJmDSeFrKG2

    Also, why run that red? IME the light cycle there isn't that long.
    Thanks. I couldn't see the sidewalk coming in to the intersection in the video and didn't know the spot.

    But no, one person is not responsible for the stereotypes or generalizations of a another person.

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

  12. #10
    TwoWheelsDC's Avatar
    TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Capitol Hill
    Posts
    3,477
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jrenaut View Post
    Aren't intersections like this considered "unpainted crosswalks" by law in Virginia? It definitely should be painted but I don't think VA law considers it any different if there is or isn't paint.
    Yep. Basically, a crosswalk exists in Virginia at every intersection of streets or sidewalk and street, whether there is paint or not.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •