Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Struck by SUV this evening on the Pike at Walter Reed (Arlington)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnoftheDread View Post
    Arlington drivers must be really outstanding and well-behaved.
    One would rather not have the dirty, sweaty cyclists scratch one's BMW. Hence the strict adherence to the 3 foot rule.

2. Likes bentbike33, ShawnoftheDread liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huskerdont View Post
    I'm amazed at that as well, but I'm more amazed at how often drivers seem to be angry at the person they hit or almost hit.
    I think that's a fear response, manifesting inappropriately.

In Europe where the negligence laws are different and responsibility almost always lands on the driver (opposite of the U.S.), it might actually be anger.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ginacico View Post
    In Europe where the negligence laws are different and responsibility almost always lands on the driver (opposite of the U.S.), it might actually be anger.
    The anger in Europe (or Germany, which is about all I can personally comment on) seems to precede the collision. After, it is still fear...the penalties can be quite severe if the motorist is found at fault, even partially (and, often striking a cyclist makes it quite clear that the 1,5m passing clearance was not given, so there is a degree of near automatic culpability). Regardless, it seems, in my experience that it take me a year to rack of the same number of close calls in Germany that I can rack up riding in this area in one month.

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Kelley View Post
    FYI--the numbers I've seen for the Safe Bicycling Initiative this year indicate that for the week of 3/27 there were two summons written and one warning given for violation of the 3' passing law.
    Maybe asking about it helps.