Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Struck by SUV this evening on the Pike at Walter Reed (Arlington)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Struck by SUV this evening on the Pike at Walter Reed (Arlington)

Tonight at about 7:45 I was riding on milled pavement for one block on the Pike so that I could scoot into the "damned anyway you try to get there" bikeshare station in front of Rite Aid when my bikeshare bike was hit as someone passed me quickly to make the light. Given how uneven the milled pavement was there (middle of a pavement project) and the amount of groceries I was carrying, I really thought I was going down, but I held on, probably in no small part to it being a CaBi bike. A driver asked me if I was ok (physically, I was).

Called the non-emergency number and asked to make a report.

I've asked ACPD to patrol for close passing on the Pike before so I was mainly interested in filing a report on that score. The policeman who came told me that they had found the records for the guy who hit me and would follow up with him. I was more interested in a record of it to bolster the case for cycling infrastructure and enforcement for close passing than in nailing the guy who hit me, but anyway.
    Last edited by elbows; 04-21-2017 at 08:51 AM. Reason: don't understand what "milled" means

2. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry that you got hit and glad that you managed to stay upright. That intersection sucks for biking particularly if you need to turn.

I've been buzzed by a couple of total assholes on the Pike including a dummy that was a Papa John's driver. I called the store and provided the plate number and informed them of how much revenue they'd lose if one of their drivers ran over me.

4. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Care to guess how many tickets Arlington PD issued for violations of the 3' passing law in the first 18 months after it was passed?

Zero.

6. Likes dasgeh, Starduster, Jenkinms, ian74, scoot and 1 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad to hear that the bikeshare tank design helped you avoid a fall this evening. And thank you for filing a report to help build a case for a better cycling experience on the Pike. I don't use that station much anymore now that they installed one two blocks north at 8th Street, but it is definitely a bit of a hassle accessing it from either of those two roads, especially if you have to make a left turn.

You should also notify Capital Bikeshare of the incident if you haven't already.

From CaBi's FAQ:

What should I do if I crash my bike?

If you are injured, call 911 immediately. You should also call the police precinct where the crash took place and file a report with an officer to make sure that all important information is documented.

Within 24 hours of the incident, you must also notify Capital Bikeshare of the facts of the crash by calling Customer Service at 877-430-2453 and speaking with a representative. We will provide you with a Crash Report to fill out.

The bike remains your responsibility until it has been properly locked at a dock or handed over to a Capital Bikeshare representative. If you arenít able to dock your bike, please call Customer Service and we will send someone over to help you.
    Last edited by scoot; 04-21-2017 at 12:11 AM.

8. Likes elbows liked this post
    jrenaut is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

It's really amazing how insignificant people seem to think it is to crash their giant metal box into another human being.

10. Likes dasgeh, huskerdont liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrenaut View Post
    It's really amazing how insignificant people seem to think it is to crash their giant metal box into another human being.
    I'm amazed at that as well, but I'm more amazed at how often drivers seem to be angry at the person they hit or almost hit.

12. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    jrenaut is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huskerdont View Post
    I'm amazed at that as well, but I'm more amazed at how often drivers seem to be angry at the person they hit or almost hit.
    We are all amazing when we drive, I agree.

14. Likes dasgeh, Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chris_s View Post
    Care to guess how many tickets Arlington PD issued for violations of the 3' passing law in the first 18 months after it was passed?

Zero.
    FYI--the numbers I've seen for the Safe Bicycling Initiative this year indicate that for the week of 3/27 there were two summons written and one warning given for violation of the 3' passing law.

16. Likes dasgeh, KLizotte, Crickey7, scoot, elbows and 1 others liked this post
    ShawnoftheDread is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Kelley View Post
    FYI--the numbers I've seen for the Safe Bicycling Initiative this year indicate that for the week of 3/27 there were two summons written and one warning given for violation of the 3' passing law.
    Arlington drivers must be really outstanding and well-behaved.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnoftheDread View Post
    Arlington drivers must be really outstanding and well-behaved.
    We are the Lake Wobegon of the DMV, where all of our drivers are above average.