Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 36 of 36

Thread: Mt Vernon Trail Closed at TR Island

  1. #31
    TwoWheelsDC's Avatar
    TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Capitol Hill
    Posts
    3,301
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Can the next project be replacing the Trollheim? Pretty please...

  2. Likes KLizotte, dasgeh liked this post
  3. #32
    KLizotte's Avatar
    KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Posts
    3,612
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    If they were unwilling to move the trail to follow the river this appears to be the second best outcome. Will be interesting to see how well cars are looking out for cyclists/peds. Would be better if they painted crosswalk lines in at the crossing too instead of just relying on stop signs (drivers may interpret the intersection as a 4-way stop intersection).

  4. #33
    dasgeh's Avatar
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    5,013
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KLizotte View Post
    If they were unwilling to move the trail to follow the river this appears to be the second best outcome. Will be interesting to see how well cars are looking out for cyclists/peds. Would be better if they painted crosswalk lines in at the crossing too instead of just relying on stop signs (drivers may interpret the intersection as a 4-way stop intersection).
    Have you seen it? They raised the entire crossing and painted the trail through the intersection. Plus, because of the new angle, drivers can see there are no stop signs. I personally think it's better than zebra stripes (which are routinely ignored).

  5. Likes Judd liked this post
  6. #34
    KLizotte's Avatar
    KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Posts
    3,612
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    Have you seen it? They raised the entire crossing and painted the trail through the intersection. Plus, because of the new angle, drivers can see there are no stop signs. I personally think it's better than zebra stripes (which are routinely ignored).
    Haven't seen it in person yet; only Bob's pics. While 80% of drivers will drive cautiously, leave it to the remaining 20% to screw it up for the rest of humanity.

  7. Likes huskerdont liked this post
  8. #35
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    1,890
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    For those wanting to see it in motion, Greg Billing (WABA) posted a video riding through the new improvements on Twitter: http://twitter.com/gregbilling/statu...85756975955969

    Quote Originally Posted by huskerdont View Post
    That's me in the first pic (red shorts). I saw you taking these and wondered if it were you. Should have stopped. A belated hello anyway.
    No worries, I was a bit distracted with trying to get a good shot without blocking the trail for folks coming downhill from IoD (I had to stand in the middle of the trail to get the right perspective while simultaneously looking back to check for downhill riders). A belated hello to you, too!

  9. Likes huskerdont liked this post
  10. #36
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    953
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelsDC View Post
    Can the next project be replacing the Trollheim? Pretty please...
    I'm torn on this. I really want Trollheim to be replaced, but the detour is likely to be a real WTF, and as we've seen with redoing the parking lot, the Park Service isn't really set up for fixing these things quickly.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •