Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Mt Vernon Trail Closed at TR Island

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Columbia Pike
    Posts
    4,674
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Mt Vernon Trail Closed at TR Island

    I got the follow excerpt in my inbox today from NPS staff:

    Soon we'll have to do a temporary closure at the base of the ramp leading from Rosslyn. The exact date of the temporary closures unknown at this time, but could happen as soon as tomorrow. This temporary closure will allow us to pave that section. While the date is unknown we're planning to do the work outside of peak times (rush hours). The work will start at 10 am and will be completed before 2 pm. It will only be one day.

    The contractor is required to have a flagger on the ramp to notify trail users.
    Followed up by:

    The work will happen sometime between tomorrow and COB next Friday.
    Further details will be posted as they develop...all appropriate questions have been asked to hopefully clarify details.

  2. Likes VikingMariner liked this post
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Falls Church, VA
    Posts
    494
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    This will be a major PITA for those trying to pass through caught unawares right at the TRI parking lot given the lack of nearby alternative routes. It would be helpful if they posted signs near Memorial Bridge, the DC side of the TR Bridge, and at the IOD.

  4. Likes dasgeh, scoot, Steve O liked this post
  5. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    515
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The good news is it looks like we are really close to not needing the mulch detour. Here is the offending section.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  6. Likes dasgeh, ursus liked this post
  7. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Crystal City to L'Enfant Plaza
    Posts
    2,025
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    This might not suck as much as it could.

    I just looked at the trail count data for Monday-Friday, April 11-15, 2016 (last year before the disturbance)

    Of the cycle traffic at the north end of the TR Island parking lot that went across the counter by 1 pm (the morning rush hour), the vast majority passed that point by 10 am.

    Monday, 11 Apr 2016 - 301 cyclists by 1 pm - 84% of them had passed by 10 am
    Tuesday, 12 Apr 2016 - 275 cyclists by 1 pm - 87% of them had passed by 10 am
    Wednesday, 13 Apr 2016 - 583 cyclists by 1 pm - 80% of them had passed by 10 am
    Thursday, 14 Apr 2016 - 546 cyclists by 1 pm - 79% of them had passed by 10 am
    Friday, 15 Apr 2016 - 548 cyclists by 1 pm - 74% of them had passed by 10 am

    While this closure is likely to annoy some cyclists, most will pass through during the "before" and "after" phase of the effort.

    Good luck!

  8. Likes rcannon100 liked this post
  9. #5
    rcannon100's Avatar
    rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
    Posts
    3,712
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dbb View Post
    I just looked at the trail count data for Monday-Friday, April 11-15, 2016 (last year before the disturbance)
    Data.... it's what's for dinner.


  10. Likes ian74 liked this post
  11. #6
    rcannon100's Avatar
    rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
    Posts
    3,712
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KWL View Post
    The good news is it looks like we are really close to not needing the mulch detour.


    Awwww. I liked the cyclocross course.

  12. Likes Sunyata liked this post
  13. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Arlington
    Posts
    454
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bentbike33 View Post
    This will be a major PITA for those trying to pass through caught unawares right at the TRI parking lot given the lack of nearby alternative routes. It would be helpful if they posted signs near Memorial Bridge, the DC side of the TR Bridge, and at the IOD.
    You would think that signage at key route decision points such as these might even be standard protocol if this were, I don't know, an important transportation corridor or something... Maybe even announce the date in advance and put that on the signs too?

  14. Likes dasgeh liked this post
  15. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Crystal City to L'Enfant Plaza
    Posts
    2,025
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    More details from the NPS GWMP.

    To the BikeArlington question whether it is a closure or a detour, the NPS responds “Only a small section of the roadway will be closed. Trail users will be able to walk around the closure to access the rest of the detour. The goal of the flagger, who will be on the lower part of the ramp, is to notify trail users that they need to slow down as they're rounding the corner.”

    NPS is expecting that the notice from their contractor regarding the timing will be short – “assumption is hours, not days.”

  16. Likes scoot, Tania liked this post
  17. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    142
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dbb View Post
    More details from the NPS GWMP.

    To the BikeArlington question whether it is a closure or a detour, the NPS responds “Only a small section of the roadway will be closed. Trail users will be able to walk around the closure to access the rest of the detour. The goal of the flagger, who will be on the lower part of the ramp, is to notify trail users that they need to slow down as they're rounding the corner.”

    NPS is expecting that the notice from their contractor regarding the timing will be short – “assumption is hours, not days.”
    That sounds more minor since depending upon recent weather, I have had to walk through the mulch already.

  18. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Living in the world
    Posts
    395
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Good to know, I guess. I've been detouring across Key Bridge and through Georgetown, and enjoying the change of scenery.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •