Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mt Vernon Trail Closed at TR Island

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mt Vernon Trail Closed at TR Island

I got the follow excerpt in my inbox today from NPS staff:

Soon we'll have to do a temporary closure at the base of the ramp leading from Rosslyn. The exact date of the temporary closures unknown at this time, but could happen as soon as tomorrow. This temporary closure will allow us to pave that section. While the date is unknown we're planning to do the work outside of peak times (rush hours). The work will start at 10 am and will be completed before 2 pm. It will only be one day.

The contractor is required to have a flagger on the ramp to notify trail users.
    Followed up by:

The work will happen sometime between tomorrow and COB next Friday.
    Further details will be posted as they develop...all appropriate questions have been asked to hopefully clarify details.

2. Likes VikingMariner liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This will be a major PITA for those trying to pass through caught unawares right at the TRI parking lot given the lack of nearby alternative routes. It would be helpful if they posted signs near Memorial Bridge, the DC side of the TR Bridge, and at the IOD.

4. Likes dasgeh, scoot, Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The good news is it looks like we are really close to not needing the mulch detour. Here is the offending section.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

6. Likes dasgeh, ursus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This might not suck as much as it could.

I just looked at the trail count data for Monday-Friday, April 11-15, 2016 (last year before the disturbance)

Of the cycle traffic at the north end of the TR Island parking lot that went across the counter by 1 pm (the morning rush hour), the vast majority passed that point by 10 am.

Monday, 11 Apr 2016 - 301 cyclists by 1 pm - 84% of them had passed by 10 am
    Tuesday, 12 Apr 2016 - 275 cyclists by 1 pm - 87% of them had passed by 10 am
    Wednesday, 13 Apr 2016 - 583 cyclists by 1 pm - 80% of them had passed by 10 am
    Thursday, 14 Apr 2016 - 546 cyclists by 1 pm - 79% of them had passed by 10 am
    Friday, 15 Apr 2016 - 548 cyclists by 1 pm - 74% of them had passed by 10 am

While this closure is likely to annoy some cyclists, most will pass through during the "before" and "after" phase of the effort.

Good luck!

8. Likes rcannon100 liked this post
    rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dbb View Post
    I just looked at the trail count data for Monday-Friday, April 11-15, 2016 (last year before the disturbance)
    Data.... it's what's for dinner.

10. Likes ian74 liked this post
    rcannon100 is offline Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies! Puppies!
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KWL View Post
    The good news is it looks like we are really close to not needing the mulch detour.

Awwww. I liked the cyclocross course.

12. Likes Sunyata liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bentbike33 View Post
    This will be a major PITA for those trying to pass through caught unawares right at the TRI parking lot given the lack of nearby alternative routes. It would be helpful if they posted signs near Memorial Bridge, the DC side of the TR Bridge, and at the IOD.
    You would think that signage at key route decision points such as these might even be standard protocol if this were, I don't know, an important transportation corridor or something... Maybe even announce the date in advance and put that on the signs too?

14. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

More details from the NPS GWMP.

To the BikeArlington question whether it is a closure or a detour, the NPS responds “Only a small section of the roadway will be closed. Trail users will be able to walk around the closure to access the rest of the detour. The goal of the flagger, who will be on the lower part of the ramp, is to notify trail users that they need to slow down as they're rounding the corner.”

NPS is expecting that the notice from their contractor regarding the timing will be short – “assumption is hours, not days.”

16. Likes scoot, Tania liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dbb View Post
    More details from the NPS GWMP.

To the BikeArlington question whether it is a closure or a detour, the NPS responds “Only a small section of the roadway will be closed. Trail users will be able to walk around the closure to access the rest of the detour. The goal of the flagger, who will be on the lower part of the ramp, is to notify trail users that they need to slow down as they're rounding the corner.”

NPS is expecting that the notice from their contractor regarding the timing will be short – “assumption is hours, not days.”
    That sounds more minor since depending upon recent weather, I have had to walk through the mulch already.

Post Thanks / Like

Good to know, I guess. I've been detouring across Key Bridge and through Georgetown, and enjoying the change of scenery.