Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do the serious riders look down on riders with e-bikes?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Do the serious riders look down on riders with e-bikes?

I used to bike often -- in my 20's, it was my primary means of transportation, and I enjoyed it. Unfortunately, medical issues have hindered my ability to bike -- in particular, I can not work my heart too hard. But, I would like to be able to ride with my daughter -- she is 15 and is loving it.

As such, I am thinking of buying an electric assist bike, one that requires pedaling, but reduces the effort (to a safe level for me). I would mostly ride on the W O & D (I live 1/4 th mile from it). I may also use it for commuting from Vienna to Arlington.

I am pretty sure this is legal (at least the store told me it is legal). FWIW, the bike I am considering is a Trek XM-700...I do not want a bike with a throttle -- that is a motorcycle.

Note that I really do not care what people thing, but do care how people act. I do not plan on entering any competitions, so I will not be cheating...
    Last edited by dhs1963; 04-17-2017 at 04:02 PM.

2. Likes dasgeh, Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't take cycling too seriously, but I can't imagine ever looking down on technology that gives someone the freedom to ride with their kids and get out and enjoy this wonderful hobby. Have fun!

Steve O is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure what a "serious" cyclist is (although one might claim Bob James is one serious cyclist!).
    I think on this forum we are much more likely to look down on people based on their asshat behavior than on their machine. Ride with awareness and courtesy and no one will care about your bike.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

There was a great thread recently where most of the issues got addressed. Bottom line, welcome to the cycling community and work to play nice with others!

http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showth...al-in-DC-VA-MD

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dhs1963 View Post
    I do not want a bike with a throttle -- that is a motorcycle.
    No one is going to look down on you as long as the above statement is true. The only e-bikes that tend to raise everyone's cackles are those ridden by people that go zooming down the trails at 20-25 mph making close passes.

I think it's awesome that your motivation is to ride with your daughter. Hope to see you out on the trails or at a coffee club.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    No one is going to look down on you as long as the above statement is true. The only e-bikes that tend to raise everyone's cackles are those ridden by people that go zooming down the trails at 20-25 mph making close passes.

I think it's awesome that your motivation is to ride with your daughter. Hope to see you out on the trails or at a coffee club.
    Thank you. These replies are helpful. I was worried of being shunned. My other reason for wanting to ride is I need to get in better shape...I currently have a collection of 4 cardiac stents. I am in my mid 50's, and because of genetics, I have to worry about stressing my heart.

By the way, If you have been at the coffee shop right off the WO & D in Vienna (Caffe Amouri), you may have seen me....

8. Likes CBGanimal, KLizotte, streetsmarts, Birru liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Do the serious riders look down on riders with e-bikes?

By the way, If you have been at the coffee shop right off the WO & D in Vienna (Caffe Amouri), you may have seen me....
    Nice! There's a Thursday coffee club that meets there at about 7:15a.

10. Likes Steve O, streetsmarts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post

I agree with all the folks above . Welcome to the community! Glad you want to get out and ride again and also that your daughter wants to.

Also I would add that The only *bikes* (e-bike or not) that tend to raise everyone's cackles are those ridden by people that go zooming down the trails at 20-25 mph making close passes.

The trails are for walkers, runners, cyclists and little kids.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I love bikes... electric bikes, motor bikes, and most of all pedal bikes. True motorcycles are meant for the road, obviously. But ebikes are more than welcome on the around normal pedal bikes if the rider is considerate and plays well with others. I met two Canadian tourists last summer on eBikes, they weren't young. We exchanged pleasantries, chatted a bit, and they politely zoomed off into a headwind I was burying myself to maintain 15mph against. Wonderful people, I hope I see them again this summer.

Post Thanks / Like

... and because of genetics, I have to worry about stressing my heart.
    Good to hear from a fellow member of the bad genes club. I'm a fairly fit 50-something currently recovering from heart surgery. I intend to be back on the bike as soon as I can, whether it's pedal-powered, electric-assisted, under sail, or whatever. I think it's great that you're determined to bike with your daughter and I'll join the previous posters in offering encouragement!

During my current daily walking regime I've been buzzed by any number of cyclists, few of whom call their passes. Over time I've seen both well-behaved electric-assisted cyclists and the the folks who go way too fast. Be courteous and considerate and all will be well.