Thread: Soma Wolverine Build

Post Thanks / Like

Default Soma Wolverine Build

Today I finished my first bike build! I got a lot of help from y'all along the way, so I thought I'd share the results.

I posted a few pictures here: http://imgur.com/a/r6Xl8

Back in February, I posted in this thread mentioning that I was planning on buying an "adventure" bike this summer, and ended up chatting with dkel about his old Wolverine frame and eventually buying it. I did a bunch of research about components and ended up going to Bikenetic for help and to order most of everything - everyone there was incredibly patient and helpful, and we ended up settling on Sram Rival 1 components.

I wanted some more advice on wheels, so I created this thread, and Hozn ended up helping me pick out and order a set of wheels, and even built them up for me!

Today I put on the finishing touches, rode it around the block a few times and made a few adjustments, and then took it out to Rosaryville for a longer shakeout ride. It performed beautifully!

I'm so thankful to dkel and Hozn for all of the help, advice, and gear, and everyone else on this forum who gave me advice! I'm looking forward to taking my new bike on some short bikepacking trips - I'd love to do Pittsburgh - DC this year, and hopefully I'll get to do some gravel riding out in Leesburg this year too. Maybe I'll even try out a cross race this season!

2. ELITE Birru, Boo Boo, dkel ELITED this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So cool! Great build, and a beautiful bike.

Post Thanks / Like

Good looking bike! I love the downtube bell and the stem mount bottle opener.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hozn is online now I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful! Glad to have been a part of the build! (And happy to have had an excuse to build up those asymmetrical Kinlin rims; they are really nice.)
    Last edited by hozn; 04-17-2017 at 07:39 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful build! Hope to see you out on some gravel soon!

vvill is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Love the first pic with all the parts. And always loved that frame! (And fork!)

For some reason my knees don't like downtube bosses in general. I had to cover the unused ones on one of my frames with an old tube to avoid banging up my knees, so the bell would be ouchie for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Your Wolverine just looks right. The hidden bottle opener under the stem is probably my favorite detail. Also count me in for Leesburg gravel!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vvill View Post
    Love the first pic with all the parts. And always loved that frame! (And fork!)

For some reason my knees don't like downtube bosses in general. I had to cover the unused ones on one of my frames with an old tube to avoid banging up my knees, so the bell would be ouchie for me.
    I agree. Plus I think orange is the fastest color bike paint, so nice job

I too would destroy my knee on that bell. I somehow manage to even hit the GPS on my stem occasionally, but I guess I throw around a lot of body english

10. Likes Judd, hozn, LeprosyStudyGroup liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I love Soma frames!! They are releasing a 27.5+ frame in the next few months that I plan on buying..

Post Thanks / Like

Any details on that one? I think the Fog Cutter and Pescadero look great too.