Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WaPo Article--Don't Drink and Bike

Post Thanks / Like

Default WaPo Article--Don't Drink and Bike

"Donít drink and walk ó or bike"

The stat within the article which caught my attention was this one:
    "On Wednesday, the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) reported that, despite progress in recent decades, more than one-third of the pedestrians and one-fifth of bicyclists who were killed in crashes in 2014 were legally drunk."

Not sure how accurate it is since I'm not familiar with the data, but it's a higher level than I would have expected.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emm View Post
    "Donít drink and walk ó or bike"

The stat within the article which caught my attention was this one:
    "On Wednesday, the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) reported that, despite progress in recent decades, more than one-third of the pedestrians and one-fifth of bicyclists who were killed in crashes in 2014 were legally drunk."

Not sure how accurate it is since I'm not familiar with the data, but it's a higher level than I would have expected.
    Not too surprising when you consider the sudden attractiveness of a bike as a non-incarceration-inducing transportation alternative after suspension or revocation of a driver's license for DUI.

3. Likes Emm, Brendan von Buckingham, Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not super surprised. According to the CDC, 31% of all traffic related deaths involve alcohol impairment.

https://www.cdc.gov/motorvehiclesafe...factsheet.html

After having a drunk dude step out in front of me whilst riding a bike in a bike lane, I can see how peds and bikes who are impaired may take actions that increase the likelihood of a crash.

Post Thanks / Like

After a show at Rock and Roll Hotel or Atlas on H St, I usually end up at a certain bus stop waiting for the bus to Gallery Place. That bus stop is next to a particular bar. Half the time, some drunk walks out of the bar and tries to talk to me or whatever.

On one particular night, a guy walked out of the bar and unlocked his bike. He appeared to be reasonably sober, until we made eye contact. He wasn't sober at all. He mounted his bike and promptly rode in front of an oncoming car. Luckily for him, the car had working brakes.

Post Thanks / Like

Considering that I am likely legally drunk 25% of the time, if I were killed on my bike at a random time, this sort of analysis would suggest a relationship between insobriety and death that clearly does not exist at all.

7. Likes Steve O, jrenaut, secstate, Emm, huskerdont liked this post
    ELITE Judd ELITED this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DismalScientist View Post
    Considering that I am likely legally drunk 25% of the time, if I were killed on my bike at a random time, this sort of analysis would suggest a relationship between insobriety and death that clearly does not exist at all.
    Or possibly 25% legally drunk 100% of the time.

9. Likes kwarkentien liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You can get a DUI for drunk bicycling. Then presumably they take away your driver's license, forcing you to bike more.

11. Likes Emm, streetsmarts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cvcalhoun View Post
    You can get a DUI for drunk bicycling. Then presumably they take away your driver's license, forcing you to bike more.
    I suppose the judge could order a cyclist not to ride while legally intoxicated, and hold them in contempt of court if they did. The judge could order that a breathalyzer lock-out be attached to their Garmin.

Doesn't Strava Premium have a field for BAC?

13. Likes kwarkentien, Emm, bentbike33, streetsmarts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cvcalhoun View Post
    Not in Virginia. In VA, you can be arrested for being drunk in public, but not for a DUI.

15. Likes kwarkentien, Steve O liked this post
    mstone is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sunyata View Post
    Not in Virginia. In VA, you can be arrested for being drunk in public, but not for a DUI.
    One of those rare cases when the VA law is the one that's obviously sensible, and the corresponding DC law is the one that's insane.