Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Close call with driver turning right on red, from Hayes to Army-Navy Drive

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    I just had a flashback to my Driver's Ed class. I can literally hear the clicking of the filmstrip with the soft radio voice saying, "Look left. Look right. Look left again. Now proceed with the turn."
    We were taught this same sequence in NoVa, but only for a left turn. For a right turn, it was just "look left". Once, as a brand-new licensed driver, I made a right turn onto an exurban arterial with wide grassy medians, no painted crosswalks, and very few pedestrians. I had only looked left, consistent with that instruction, but I noticed after I completed my turn that there was a crossing pedestrian who had stopped in the median to avoid crossing my path. This was an aha moment for me as a driver, and I realized I would need to glance to my right as well on future right turns. Not just for pedestrians, of course: you also need to see if the roadway ahead is clear!

In fact, the Virginia DMV manual's paragraph on right turns (see "Turning", page 17) still says "Look to your left to check the intersection for pedestrians and traffic coming from the other direction", but it says nothing about looking to your right. This is a serious oversight that needs to be fixed.
    Last edited by scoot; 04-14-2017 at 10:58 AM.

2. Likes bentbike33 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scoot View Post
    In fact, the Virginia DMV manual's paragraph on right turns (see "Turning", page 17) still says "Look to your left to check the intersection for pedestrians and traffic coming from the other direction", but it says nothing about looking to your right. This is a serious oversight that needs to be fixed.
    I am currently teaching my son to drive in VA. I will be supplementing his instructions to cover this oversight.

4. Likes KLizotte liked this post
    KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if it has improved my driving but my pedestrian awareness has increased immensely due to biking. Now when crossing streets my head is swivelling around looking for all sorts of conflicts; even when on sidewalks I look behind me when moving around people and tend to stick to the right side in case a cyclist sneaks up on me. I often wish I had my helmet mirror on!

I'm amazed by how little people check for safety before crossing busy streets. They just see the little white man flashing and blindly go.

All that said, I do often fear a cyclist barreling through an intersection or coming out from a area where visibility is low.