Thread: Family biking class

Post Thanks / Like

Default Family biking class

This two and a half hour class is specifically for adults that ride a bicycle with at least one child on their bike or pulled in a trailer.

We'll help you ride more comfortably and confidently while enjoying the experience of riding with kids! No matter your skill level, you'll improve your abilities on two (or more) wheels.

We'll explore the unique challenges of riding a bike in the region with a child on board, from choosing equipment to avoiding hazards.

The first part of the class will take place in a car free environment (a parking lot), and after practicing some drills, we'll go out on a ride on the local trail and roads.

Kids are welcome, but childcare will not be provided. In an effort to create an ideal learning environment, please maintain a 1:1 parent to child ratio.

Our Youth & Family coordinator will be managing this class, and each of our instructors is certified by the League of American Bicyclists.

This class is for you if:
    ◾You power a bicycle that is carrying or pulling a child.
    ◾You want to speak to other parents about their experiences and want to share some of your own.
    ◾You're looking for something fun to do on a Sunday morning with your bicycle.

Participants must provide their own bike and bike helmet. Helmet use is mandatory. We recommend bringing along water, a snack, and weather-appropriate clothing.

Clipless pedals and toe clips are not recommended for this class.

This class will be rescheduled in case of inclement weather. Please enter a cell phone number below to ensure that you receive any messages about rescheduling.

A little online study is recommended for this classócheck out the Smart Cycling Tips and the Rules of the Road from the League of American Bicyclists'. And take the time to watch the Smart Cycling Videos to get an idea of what we'll be covering in the class.

Class Reservation Fees (Youth are free)

FREE for Capital Bikeshare Members: Capital Bikeshare members can attend this City Cycling classes for FREE. To get the discount code, email education@waba.org or call 202-518-0524 ext. 221. We'll also reimburse you for your usage fees if you use Bikeshare during the class.

$5 for WABA Members: To get the Member discount code, email us at education@waba.org or call 202-518-0524 x221.

$10 for Non-Members: Registration fee includes class registration for one adult, youth are free.

$25 for the class and a WABA membership: Registration fee includes class registration for one person ($10 value) and a one-year WABA Membership ($35 value). Learn more about the benefits of joining WABA here.

Drop-ins are free! Walk up to any class at least 15 minutes prior to the starting time and take the session for free, space permitting.

*You are free to cancel your registration without penalty and with a full refund until 24 hours prior to the class by emailing education@waba.org.

Event Location

Anacostia Park
    1500 Anacostia Dr. SE
    Washington, DC 20020

Directions

We will be meeting in the parking lot north of the boat launch, past the Aquatic Resources Education Center (all the way at the end of Anacostia Dr.).

2. Likes matton, Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I wish I could be there to join these bicycling classes. Maybe sometime later!

Steve O is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

WABA's fall schedule of cycling classes is starting up in August. Check their education link in a few weeks for schedule: http://www.waba.org/adult-education/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    WABA's fall schedule of cycling classes is starting up in August. Check their education link in a few weeks for schedule: http://www.waba.org/adult-education/
    I've got this idea about hosting a Guinness Book of World Records event where we teach the most people to ride a bicycle on a single day. It is totally my idea that I came up with myself and didn't steal from Steve O.

Steve O is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    I've got this idea about hosting a Guinness Book of World Records event where we teach the most people to ride a bicycle on a single day. It is totally my idea that I came up with myself and didn't steal from Steve O.
    You should totally do it!

7. Likes Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    You should totally do it!
    I've been thinking about it a lot since our conversation. I would be willing to assist heavily.