Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Let's Bike the Purple Line! (No Drop Ride)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobco85 View Post
    Considering the last ride I tried to lead had thunderstorms with hail, I'll take "meh" as a good thing!
    Based on the current forecast, it looks like the ride will be over (and folks able to get back from whence they came) before it goes from "meh" to "yuck!" (Heavier/steady rain is supposed to start around 6PM.)

Since I have no parental responsibilities Saturday, I think I'm in. My only hesitation (as always) is expected pace; I don't want to be a drag.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LhasaCM View Post
    Based on the current forecast, it looks like the ride will be over (and folks able to get back from whence they came) before it goes from "meh" to "yuck!" (Heavier/steady rain is supposed to start around 6PM.)

Since I have no parental responsibilities Saturday, I think I'm in. My only hesitation (as always) is expected pace; I don't want to be a drag.
    Off topic - Since I am relatively slow too I need to start posting my own suggested rides - will do that if I can predict my schedule better.

Back on topic - I finally realized that this Saturday is NOT earth day. Will check if QOTM wants to go to the science march together - depending on answer I will either have to miss the ride entirely, do part and bail, or try to do the whole thing.

Edit - This Saturday IS Earth Day. Except in Alexandria, which is apparently a different planet.
    Last edited by lordofthemark; 04-20-2017 at 12:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

You should be fine. Given the pace on prior rides with Bobco, it will be similar to the doughnut ride.

4. Likes LhasaCM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    You should be fine. Given the pace on prior rides with Bobco, it will be similar to the doughnut ride.
    Got it. I think I was getting hung up on low end of the "4-5 hours with breaks" estimate. If we're thinking similar to the doughnut ride, that's probably 4 hours or so moving time (it looks like we were around 11mph on average between stops, which included the climb up to Duck Donuts), plus however long we stop at wherever along the way.

Now - to figure out where to tack on 10 or so extra miles (beyond the ride itself and getting to/from the ride) to get to 100km for the trip...

Post Thanks / Like

Working from home today, and guess what just arrived!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	purpleSocks - 1.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	14627
    Got it. I think I was getting hung up on low end of the "4-5 hours with breaks" estimate. If we're thinking similar to the doughnut ride, that's probably 4 hours or so moving time (it looks like we were around 11mph on average between stops, which included the climb up to Duck Donuts), plus however long we stop at wherever along the way.

Now - to figure out where to tack on 10 or so extra miles (beyond the ride itself and getting to/from the ride) to get to 100km for the trip...
    No worries, my focus will be on keeping the group together, so I will slow my pace as needed. Of course, I should warn you, I do like to go off on tangents...

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    Bobco... ...will be similar to the doughnut
    Hey, who are you calling a doughnut!

7. Likes LhasaCM, streetsmarts, Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobco85 View Post
    Working from home today, and guess what just arrived!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	purpleSocks - 1.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	14627
    Very nice. I'm waiting until tomorrow night to gather my purple ensemble to see how many different shades I'll have...

9. Likes bobco85 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking of hitting a goodwill. I don't think I have purple stuff!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

11. Likes LhasaCM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by streetsmarts View Post
    I was thinking of hitting a goodwill. I don't think I have purple stuff!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    I'm always struck (and disappointed) by how few purple cycling clothing items they make for men. Women - purple as far as the eye can see for jerseys, jackets, socks, shoes, whatever. It's such a struggle...

13. Likes Steve O, streetsmarts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm always struck (and disappointed) by how few purple cycling clothing items they make for men. Women - purple as far as the eye can see for jerseys, jackets, socks, shoes, whatever. It's such a struggle...
    Find someone who does Team in Training. The leukemia and lymphomas society's color is purple, so most of the team kits are purple. I just got a lovely purple jersey from a friend who rides on a team. Unfortunately, I'm out of town so I cant make this weekend's ride to show it off

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

15. Likes LhasaCM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emm View Post
    Find someone who does Team in Training. The leukemia and lymphomas society's color is purple, so most of the team kits are purple. I just got a lovely purple jersey from a friend who rides on a team. Unfortunately, I'm out of town so I cant make this weekend's ride to show it off

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    That's a good idea. There's also this year's Bike To Work Day shirt, though that doesn't help for tomorrow. Regardless, I am not worried about lacking purple clothing - as a proud Northwestern alum, purple is a staple of my wardrobe. It's just been a struggle to get to this point with cycling-ish gear
    Last edited by LhasaCM; 04-21-2017 at 12:31 PM.