Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: April 2017 Road & Trail Conditions

Steve O is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DrP View Post
    Orange barrels (or whatever those oversized cones are called) and yellow tape are now blocking the curb cut to the detour at the IOD. One can use the curb cut at the corner to get on the sidewalk and then to the trail. Cyclists heading into DC are now quite inconvenienced (person just head of me stopped and went under). I would guess this is an attempt to make it safer for crossing so drivers can see the peds and cyclists just as they hit them during rights on red rather than seeing the fear in their eyes before being hit 20ft further down the road.
    I assume these are not too heavy.

2. Likes wheels&wings, Judd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    I assume these are not too heavy.
    I know a guy who routinely removes cones from bike lanes and also replaced some cones to restore the temporary bike lane at the Jefferson Memorial. He doesn't bike by the IOD much, so some other guy is going to have to fix this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I finally got to ride through there this am and it's a tight squeeze past the light pole. It's also a little confusing - I'm glad I had a red light to look at what they'd done and figure out where I needed to go.

(the mulch father down is still awesome however)

5. Likes ursus liked this post
    TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tania View Post
    I finally got to ride through there this am and it's a tight squeeze past the light pole. It's also a little confusing - I'm glad I had a red light to look at what they'd done and figure out where I needed to go.

(the mulch father down is still awesome however)
    On the uphill side, there's a sign saying "use pedestrian crosswalk" or something like that, so it's not as confusing that way...still a mess though, as there just isn't room for all the people who generally wait to cross there.

7. Likes huskerdont liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelsDC View Post
    On the uphill side, there's a sign saying "use pedestrian crosswalk" or something like that, so it's not as confusing that way...still a mess though, as there just isn't room for all the people who generally wait to cross there.
    By blocking the big curb cut for the driveway (or whatever the detour trail is in real life), it also forces riders wanting to take the sidewalk on Key Bridge to get on the sidewalk where everyone else is waiting to cross the IOD. And this morning, the little gap east of the light pole was barrelled and roped off as well.

Isn't this phase of the IOD detours supposed to be about over now?

Post Thanks / Like

There was a lane closure on Potomac Ave northbound, in front of the cinema parking lot. Hoping it's gone now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bentbike33 View Post
    By blocking the big curb cut for the driveway (or whatever the detour trail is in real life), it also forces riders wanting to take the sidewalk on Key Bridge to get on the sidewalk where everyone else is waiting to cross the IOD. And this morning, the little gap east of the light pole was barrelled and roped off as well.

Isn't this phase of the IOD detours supposed to be about over now?

Someone moved the barrels a bit so you can sneak through the curb cut in front of the driveway.

Post Thanks / Like

Every single morning I have been tempted to ride through the tape, and every single morning I've either chickened out or had what's left of my better nature prevail. What's surprising to me is that no one else has done it.

Post Thanks / Like

That tape could turn out to be stronger than you think...
    All I'm saying is let's get any attempt on film.

13. ELITE TwoWheelsDC ELITED this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GovernorSilver View Post
    There was a lane closure on Potomac Ave northbound, in front of the cinema parking lot. Hoping it's gone now.
    Yay, it's gone!