Thread: Reporting unsafe drivers to police?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Reporting unsafe drivers to police?

Anyone ever report an unsafe driver to the police? I had a green Mini pass me too closely this morning on Maine Ave and have a video of the incident. I wondered if there was a way to report it and possibly get the driver cited? Maybe the last part of that is pure fantasy but I have no idea how to do it.

jrenaut is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Not sure the police can give a ticket from a video, but it's worth reporting. Twitter shaming with the #bikeDC hashtag is good too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    Anyone ever report an unsafe driver to the police? I had a green Mini pass me too closely this morning on Maine Ave and have a video of the incident. I wondered if there was a way to report it and possibly get the driver cited? Maybe the last part of that is pure fantasy but I have no idea how to do it.
    When I reported someone to the police in DC based on a video, they said they were able to prosecute based on that. Only problem was it was a Maryland driver, and they don't have access to Maryland driver information based on the license plate number, so they had to wait until the person was back in DC and someone happened to run the plates.

Post Thanks / Like

If it happens to you in Arlington, you can report them with this form and Arlington PD will send them a letter.

5. Likes KLizotte, dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chris_s View Post
    If it happens to you in Arlington, you can report them with this form and Arlington PD will send them a letter.
    Thanks for this link. But I encounter threats from distracted drivers more frequently than aggressive ones. I think they should get warning letters too. Since I don't see anywhere else to report drivers that are dangerous but not aggressive per se, I guess I should just report them on this form also?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cvcalhoun View Post
    When I reported someone to the police in DC based on a video, they said they were able to prosecute based on that. Only problem was it was a Maryland driver, and they don't have access to Maryland driver information based on the license plate number, so they had to wait until the person was back in DC and someone happened to run the plates.
    Interesting, appreciate you sharing your experience. What form did you use? Or did you have go into a station? This guy was a DC driver.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    Interesting, appreciate you sharing your experience. What form did you use? Or did you have go into a station? This guy was a DC driver.
    I was actually hit (although it was more like tapped; I didn't even fall off the bike). I reported it immediately afterward by calling 911. They sent police over to take the report.

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scoot View Post
    Thanks for this link. But I encounter threats from distracted drivers more frequently than aggressive ones. I think they should get warning letters too. Since I don't see anywhere else to report drivers that are dangerous but not aggressive per se, I guess I should just report them on this form also?
    I would say operating a multi-ton vehicle without paying full attention is aggressive.

10. Likes Dachs6 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scoot View Post
    FWIW, my workplace actually considers driving a vehicle in any irresponsible manner (including driving too slow, believe it or not) to be aggressive driving.