Thread: Bike infrastructure architecture around the world

KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Bike infrastructure architecture around the world

Needless to say, the US doesn't have any cool entries.

http://www.archdaily.com/806102/12-i...chDaily%20List

2. Likes ChampionTier, bobco85 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KLizotte View Post
    Needless to say, the US doesn't have any cool entries.

http://www.archdaily.com/806102/12-i...chDaily%20List
    Thanks for sharing this! I've often wondered what a compact, urban bike track might look like. Something a little technical, a little fast, accessible to all skill levels yet race-able.

Most of the places I've lived don't have the wonderful access to bike trans infrastructure that we enjoy in NOVA/MD; something like the mini-velodrome or the Denmark Pavilion (which made me crave Dairy Queen for some reason) could provide a concentrated place for folks to discover/enjoy biking not unlike what a municipal pool does for swimming. Of course, I'm a tad biased...
    Last edited by ChampionTier; 03-30-2017 at 02:34 PM. Reason: words, spellin'

4. Likes dasgeh, KLizotte liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So, in the Electra BikeHub, how do people get their bikes into the upper cells?

Post Thanks / Like

I think its just a showcase for Electra brand bikes. So they probably use a step ladder. It looks cool, but not really practical as storage.

Quote Originally Posted by cvcalhoun View Post
    So, in the Electra BikeHub, how do people get their bikes into the upper cells?

7. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anomad View Post
    I think its just a showcase for Electra brand bikes. So they probably use a step ladder. It looks cool, but not really practical as storage.
    Well, in the linked article, they talk about it being a showcase during the summer, but having people store their bikes there during the winter. But I guess if you're storing it there continuously for months at a time, staff might be able to help you put it up in the fall and take it down in the spring. I'm just mystified by the concept of not biking at all for several months at a time.

Post Thanks / Like

The Martin Olav Sabo bike/pedestrian bridge on the Midtown Greenway in Minneapolis is pretty cool. It's hard to capture on camera because of the way it curves, but here's one view:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	640px-Hiawatha_Bridge_01.jpeg 
Views:	21 
Size:	39.2 KB 
ID:	14492

And another:

Name:	mpls-bridge.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	26.6 KB 
ID:	14493

About a mile up the trail from the bridge, Freewheel Bikes is accessible only from the trail level (the trail is below ground level):

Name:	freewheelbikes.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	103.6 KB 
ID:	14494

One GREAT thing about that trail is that there are separate lanes for bikes and peds, which makes it much less stressful and safer for everyone.

10. Likes ChampionTier, KLizotte liked this post
    dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

The High Trestle Trail Bridge in Madrid, Iowa, is pretty awesome: http://www.inhf.org/what-we-do/prote...trestle-trail/

But it would be great if the designers of the W&OD bridge over Lee Highway in EFC would take some inspiration from these.

Ah, I'm so funny.

12. Likes secstate liked this post