Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are E-bikes legal in DC, VA, MD?

Post Thanks / Like

What about a vehicle that has pedals and a motor that can propel it the vehicle faster than 20mph, but which is not measured in cubic centimeters? A motor-driven cycle, right?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasyRider View Post
    What about a vehicle that has pedals and a motor that can propel it the vehicle faster than 20mph, but which is not measured in cubic centimeters? A motor-driven cycle, right?
    I read it as "Faster than 20 mph but under 30 mph" is a motor-driven cycle unless it has a big engine.

https://dmv.dc.gov/sites/default/fil...le%20chart.pdf

From the same chart, motorized bicycles are not allowed in bike lanes. The rule cited earlier (1201.18) could be interpreted as such - it's not clear if "off-street" is modifying just "bikepath" or if it also applies to "bicycle route."

3. Likes Crickey7 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Caroline C View Post
    Hi, we are going to visit DC area in near future and would like to know if we can ride our e-bikes (pedal assist) on the paved bike paths and roads with bike lanes ?
    Thanks for any information. We live in Tennessee where e-bikes are legal on streets and also multi-use trails if max speed is 20mph.
    To summarize - this topic seems to foster a degree of talmudic discussion. You will be fine if you follow the prime directive - "Don't be a jerk."

5. Likes kwarkentien, jrenaut, Dewey, dasgeh, Vicegrip and 3 others liked this post
    ELITE kwarkentien, rcannon100 ELITED this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dbb View Post
    To summarize - this topic seems to foster a degree of talmudic discussion. You will be fine if you follow the prime directive - "Don't be a jerk."
    Agreed. I couldn't give two 💩s about the letter of the law regarding e-bikes as long as you're riding considerately and safely. And don't embarrass me too much on the hills, please.

7. Likes kwarkentien, dasgeh, Sunyata, LhasaCM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If we are going to be talmudic, lets get in the habit of quoting our sources. For example

"As my revered teacher, Dirt, used to say, the best thing to do is to be a good example."

Then you would quote me "As LordoftheMark taught, in the name of Dirt, the best thing to do is to be a good example"

Of course then showing that to be inconsistent with LordoftheMarks other statements would be fine, though perhaps not what Dirt would do.

9. Likes chris_s, dbb, LhasaCM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The local laws and regulations are complicated by the many different state/city/county/federal agency jurisdictions that govern adjoining parts of the trails, sidewalks and bridges, combined with the fact there are no safe on-road crossings for <20mph ebikes over the Potomac, obliging you to use bridge sidewalks and trails where ebikes are prohibited, thankfully as these comments demonstrate showing common courtesy will mean you will be fine.
    Last edited by Dewey; 04-01-2017 at 11:03 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Birru View Post
    Agreed. I couldn't give two s about the letter of the law regarding e-bikes as long as you're riding considerately and safely. And don't embarrass me too much on the hills, please.
    I'm always happy to see it's an ebike passing me on the hills. That way, I can tell myself it's just an unfair advantage. Now, when all the other bikes pass me on the hills...

12. Likes jrenaut liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nobody will notice. If someone does, they won't care. If they do care, they won't say so. If they do say so, they won't call the cops. If they do call the cops, the cops will probably not know either. In other words, don't spend any energy worrying about it.

Post Thanks / Like

Default If it is me...no advantage

Quote Originally Posted by cvcalhoun View Post
    I'm always happy to see it's an ebike passing me on the hills. That way, I can tell myself it's just an unfair advantage. Now, when all the other bikes pass me on the hills...
    If it is me on the bike, any advantage brought on by the electric assist is lost becuase of me.

Post Thanks / Like

Getting in a reference to the Talmud on a bike forum and during Pesach to boot--awesome!!!!

16. Likes cvcalhoun liked this post