Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Army-Navy Drive losing a bit of the bike lane?

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobco85 View Post
    I've been reading this thread, and I have 2 questions for the group:
    1. Is there a difference between filtering and lane-splitting?
    2. Would filtering be considered lane-splitting through stopped traffic?
    I've always understood:
    Filtering : riding beside/between stopped cars to the front of the line (cars are the big rocks, bikes are the water filtering through them)
    Lane-splitting: riding in a lane with a car that is also moving
    Shoaling: Pulling ahead of stopped bikes into the crosswalk/intersection, creating a shoal.

I.e. you can't shoal a car.

2. Likes bobco85 liked this post
    DismalScientist is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Shoaling a car: Pulling ahead of stopped cars into the intersection, creating a shoal.

Not to difficult.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    Shoaling: Pulling ahead of stopped bikes into the crosswalk/intersection, creating a shoal.

I.e. you can't shoal a car.
    As much as people gripe on here about peds & joggers shoaling them at stops, I disagree.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930AZ using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    [/LIST]

That said, for the years I PM commuted westbound on Eye St NW in DC from 14th to 19th, I was a total urban-guerilla cyclist, lane splitting and filtering at every opportunity to gain every inch of advantage.
    You shouldn't do that, Jeanne.

6. Likes Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DismalScientist View Post
    Shoaling a car: Pulling ahead of stopped cars into the intersection, creating a shoal.

Not to difficult.
    But what do we do about bike boxes? They basically promote "shoaling" of vehicles by cyclists by allowing cyclists to get in front of drivers (where they can be better seen and to avoid right hooks from turning drivers).

Should we rename them bike shoals?

8. Likes dasgeh, Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

But what do we do about bike boxes? They basically promote "shoaling" of vehicles by cyclists by allowing cyclists to get in front of drivers (where they can be better seen and to avoid right hooks from turning drivers).

The only one I use regularly is the one at the intersection of 4th and Eye, SW, heading SB on 4th (I have been using it a lot lately, because of the chaos on Maine Avenue, when I use the route Case>9th>GStreet>4thStreet>EyeStreet for my commute to Capitol Riverfront. I do get to the left side of the bike box, in front of the cars. At that location I am making a left turn, into the Eye Street eastbound bike lane, so I don't consider it shoaling, because any cars making that left can easily pass me on eastbound Eye Street.

(also I don't have to filter to get to it - traffic SB on 4th always seems to be fairly light at AM rush, so I can merge from the SB bike lane to the SB general travel lane, and then to the left turn lane, very easily and completely vehicularly - well except I guess using the SB bike lane is not particularly VC)

Here is the location. https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8795...7i13312!8i6656

In general I think I see bike boxes in places where there are bike lanes, so they generally don't present shoaling issues so much, I think. If they are found in other places (?) not sure I would filter around to get to the bike box, but again, I guess if you are fast enough to not be immediately passed after going through the light, or you value clearing the intersection more than issues with passing on the straight, I guess it could make sense. I dunno.
    Last edited by lordofthemark; 10-05-2017 at 04:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's NACTO's site on bike boxes: https://nacto.org/publication/urban-...ts/bike-boxes/

My view of bike boxes has been more that they function to better facilitate left hand turns where they would otherwise be difficult rather than being more visible for right turning drivers. Off the top of my head I can only think of the location of two, both on Commonwealth Ave. The one at the intersection of Mt. Vernon and Commonwealth is useful since it's an intersection where some cars are going left and some cars are going straight, but some cars might also go right at the intersection. I can only recall using it once though, as I just tuck in behind the last car in the queue.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes. And paint palm trees and little fish around them. And all cyclists using them should be required to wear some sort of appropriate island beachware.

12. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    Steve O is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    Lane-splitting: riding in a lane with a car that is also moving
    I presume by "with" you mean side-by-side, not behind or in front of.

You may be right, in which case one can be filtering and then suddenly lane splitting without actually doing anything differently. That makes it pretty tricky if one is legal and one is not, when the legality is determined by the behavior of someone else. For example, if I am filtering and one of the cars decides to edge forward to get closer to the car ahead of it, am I suddenly lane splitting? And then filtering again once they stop?

14. Likes dasgeh, streetsmarts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    For example, if I am filtering and one of the cars decides to edge forward to get closer to the car ahead of it, am I suddenly lane splitting? And then filtering again once they stop?
    Sounds like the best thing to do is not filter, Jeanne.

16. Likes streetsmarts liked this post