Thread: Army-Navy Drive losing a bit of the bike lane?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Army-Navy Drive losing a bit of the bike lane?

I bike home along Army-Navy Drive from Pentagon City towards Glebe (or the 4MRT, to be exact). A couple of weeks ago they dug up a small bit of the miniscule sidewalk and bike lane on the I-395 side of the road across from the Horizon House Condos at the bus stop. They appear to have added a sidewalk-height manhole cover and appear to be putting in a curb such that there is no bike lane at that point. Any one know what is going on? Will they re-paint lines to keep a bike lane there or do I have to continue doing what I do now and take the lane at that point?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DrP View Post
    I bike home along Army-Navy Drive from Pentagon City towards Glebe (or the 4MRT, to be exact). A couple of weeks ago they dug up a small bit of the miniscule sidewalk and bike lane on the I-395 side of the road across from the Horizon House Condos at the bus stop. They appear to have added a sidewalk-height manhole cover and appear to be putting in a curb such that there is no bike lane at that point. Any one know what is going on? Will they re-paint lines to keep a bike lane there or do I have to continue doing what I do now and take the lane at that point?
    Good news, the manhole cover has been addressed. There is now a nice bus pad surrounding the manhole cover. The bad news is the bike lane has definitely disappeared. It will take some restripping of the travel lanes to even hope for a bike lane. I sure hope the county has some plans to address the abrupt end of the bike lane. This is now a quite hazardous bike lane.

Name:  IMG_6942.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  96.8 KB

KLizotte is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Arlington, VA by way of MA and London, UK
    Post Thanks / Like

So now there is a dangerous "step down" around the manhole cover?! Wouldn't it have made more sense to move the bus stop 15-20 feet in either direction so a smooth apron could be built? Doesn't look like it meets ADA standards.

Bike-Ped Manager is offline Arlington County Bicycle & Pedestrian Programs Manager
    Post Thanks / Like

No, the southbound bike lane is not going away. This is one of three consecutive bus stops along Army Navy Drive (southbound) that are being made ADA accessible in coordination with a repaving project along the corridor. After it gets paved (later in the summer, I'm told) a new striping plan will adjust all the travel lanes accordingly. The silver lining to all this disruption is that as part of this re-striping process, the northbound bike lane will be converted to a buffered/protected bike lane wherever there is room to do so.

5. Likes tnelson, Sunyata, dasgeh, KLizotte liked this post