Thread: North Arlington Ride Recon Help

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Default North Arlington Ride Recon Help

I'm thinking of heading into the wilds of North Arlington for a Kidical Mass ride this Saturday. This is especially challenging as we don't do hills over 5% at all, and try not to do long hills over 3%. But I think I've got a route. I just need a little recon help.

The entire route can be seen here. It would start at Chestnut Hills Park (Harrison St and 27th St N) and wander around, hitting the Rock Spring Trail, and ending up at the Lee Harrison shops (DUCK DONUTS! PIE-TANZA! SUSHI!). My questions are:

* Does the trail that connects 27th St N to Kensington really exist? Can bikes ride on it (i.e. no stairs)?
    * Will a kidical ride be able to take a left from Kensington on to Little Falls safely on a Saturday morning? (I.e. how busy is Little Falls)
    * How steep is that little bit of 33rd St N between 34th St N and 32 St N? (And, hey, Arlington, numbered streets are supposed to be parallel)
    * Will we be able to turn left from 32nd St N onto Harrison?
    * How steep is that hill on 33rd St N after we turn right from Williamsburg?
    * How steep are the hills on Florida, 27th Rd, 28th St and Greenbrier (behind Yorktown at the end)?

* Anyone want to marshall?

THANKS!

vvill is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Can't answer all of these but

That bit of 33rd is pretty steep. Strava reckons 7% avg. https://www.strava.com/segments/1640761 I would guess there's a sustained 10% - and the downhill is similar.

I think that'd be fine.

* Does the trail that connects 27th St N to Kensington really exist? Can bikes ride on it (i.e. no stairs)?
    I *think* I've ridden that 27th St N trail exactly once - but can't recall the date I rode it so I can't find my ride data. Don't recall if there are stairs, sorry!

3. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vvill View Post
    I *think* I've ridden that 27th St N trail exactly once - but can't recall the date I rode it so I can't find my ride data. Don't recall if there are stairs, sorry!
    Found it - looks like I stopped once but that may not been because of stairs. It is pretty narrow, and there's no curb cut.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/11...ysis/2971/3062

Note that Google Maps / the default RWGPS map has the entrance at the wrong place. Coming from the east you'll overshoot it. Use the Open Street Map version to see where the entrance actually is.

5. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Adding my answers to some of the questions:

Yes, except it's not in the spot that you mapped. The path goes between the 2 houses near the open area. If you look at Google Maps Streetview here: https://goo.gl/maps/Q7TmpJh1ner you'll see the path is the one next to the "Speed Hump" sign. It runs straight back from 27th then turns 90 degrees toward the cul-de-sac on Kensington. vvill's segment shows the correct route.

* Will a kidical ride be able to take a left from Kensington on to Little Falls safely on a Saturday morning? (I.e. how busy is Little Falls)
    Little Falls has slower traffic since Yorktown Blvd is there, but I don't think there will be any issues here.

* How steep is that little bit of 33rd St N between 34th St N and 32 St N? (And, hey, Arlington, numbered streets are supposed to be parallel)
    The hill is moderate.

The sightlines for traffic approaching from the right aren't very good, but traffic isn't bad there.

That hill will definitely be a challenge for the children due to steepness and length.

* How steep are the hills on Florida, 27th Rd, 28th St and Greenbrier (behind Yorktown at the end)?
    I'd say not terrible, but the kids will really earn those donuts!

Additional comments:
    * You'll need to be careful when crossing Yorktown Blvd on Little Falls Rd because it's at the bottom of hills on both sides, Yorktown Blvd has faster traffic, and there is no signal (only a crosswalk).
    * Just before the end of the route where you have to turn left from 26th St onto Harrison St, I'd recommend bailing to the sidewalk because Harrison St traffic moves fast through that area. However, there is a tree that blocks half the sidewalk at one point (you can see this in Google Maps Streetview here: https://goo.gl/maps/ScHZB6VGs552 ).

7. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This is hugely helpful. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Sounds like 33rd southeast of Williamsburg is not for us. What about N 32nd St between Harrison St and Little Falls? From street view, it looks like a hill, but not horrible.

Updated route here (only change in 32nd)
    Last edited by dasgeh; 03-23-2017 at 10:21 AM.

9. Likes bobco85 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

*EDIT* Let's do this:http://kidicalmassarl.blogspot.com/2...challenge.html

Who wants to ride this Saturday?

The weather is supposed to be excellent. The ride will be 10am (Saturday, 3/25), starting at Chestnut Hill Park and ending at Lee Harrison. Route: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/19749469

This ride will be hilly. It wouldn't violate our 5% threshold going up, but there would be a lot of hills, and there would be one steep downhill.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dasgeh View Post
    Sounds like 33rd southeast of Williamsburg is not for us. What about N 32nd St between Harrison St and Little Falls? From street view, it looks like a hill, but not horrible.
    Yeah definitely preferable to 33rd.

12. Likes dasgeh liked this post