Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lumberjack 100!!! Need some mountain bike knowledge.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lumberjack 100!!! Need some mountain bike knowledge.

So, I found a mountain bike century called the Lumberjack 100 that is held every year in Michigan. It's sold out this year, but I feel like I'm pretty much obligated to do this in 2018. I've never ridden a mountain bike. I think I'd probably like it.

What would a guy like me need to do to prepare for mountain biking this distance?

Nerd out on mountain bike selection on me...

Event site:
    http://lumberjack100.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    So, I found a mountain bike century called the Lumberjack 100 that is held every year in Michigan. It's sold out this year, but I feel like I'm pretty much obligated to do this in 2018. I've never ridden a mountain bike. I think I'd probably like it.

What would a guy like me need to do to prepare for mountain biking this distance?

Event site:
    http://lumberjack100.com/
    First you need to go mountain biking on a mountain bike. You ride a 58 on a road, right? If so, you'll fit mine, which is a large hardtail 27.5. We need to get out sometime so you can try it. I'll stumble about on the gravel bike.

Unless you're rich, in case, buy me a full suspension 29er while you're at the shop.

ETA you've been PM'd.
    Last edited by huskerdont; 03-22-2017 at 01:51 PM.

3. Likes Tania, hozn, jrenaut liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

By the way, 100 miles of 90% single track with 9,000 feet of climbing is not Hains Point. For a normal person, I'd say you really need to build up to it, but you are Judd Lumberjack so I'm probably wrong.

5. Likes jrenaut liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You will need to consult a Michigander to confirm, but if this is during deer fly season you will also need to find a way to leatherize your butt as the deer flies will bite right through regular bike shorts.

Being from Illinois (a Flatlander as we used to call you all in Wisconsin) you may not be aware that in the woodsy parts of the midwest, there are no long extended climbs, meaning there are also no long drawn-out descents. The hills among the trees are short, steep, and relentless. You will have a blast.
    Last edited by bentbike33; 03-22-2017 at 02:23 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=bentbike33;157688]You will need to consult a Michigander to confirm, but if this is during deer fly season you will also need to find a way to leatherize your butt as the deer flies will bite right through regular bike shorts.

QUOTE]

If I could get a Michigander to hold up there hand and point to where the deer flys are, I would greatly appreciate it.

8. Likes Nadine liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Judd;157692]
    Quote Originally Posted by bentbike33 View Post
    You will need to consult a Michigander to confirm, but if this is during deer fly season you will also need to find a way to leatherize your butt as the deer flies will bite right through regular bike shorts.

QUOTE]

If I could get a Michigander to hold up there hand and point to where the deer flys are, I would greatly appreciate it.
    He/she is too busy swatting them. Those buggers land ever so lightly and then lay in a hella bite.

Post Thanks / Like

First I see this in Power of 10:
    Come... join the roadie dark side...
    And then I see this over here:
    I think the people deserve an explanation.

11. Likes Tania, Sunyata, hozn, AFHokie, streetsmarts and 1 others liked this post
    TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Okay, so I also had a similar MTB bug bite me like 1.5 years ago...here's my take:

I did the 50 mile version of the MoCo Epic and holy shit it was hard...not as hard as Mountains of Misery, but harder than the Civil War Century. Basically, figure out your MTB ride distance, compare that to a hard road ride of a similar distance you've done, then double it and factor in soreness in places you need two mirrors to see.

For "beginner" routes, I think the Muddy Branch trail and Seneca Ridge trail were the trails where I actually found the challenge of MTBing fun rather than scary. I didn't particularly care for Wakefield or Shaeffer Farms. Difficult Run is decent too. I was too scared to try Fountainhead.

For me, I think I went in expecting it to be like Colorado or something, with lots of fun climbs and fast descents, but overall I just found the root-y trails around here to be kinda scary and frustrating rather than fun. I also didn't like that most of the trails I wanted to ride required a car trip and all the loading/unloading unpleasantness that came with that. Ultimately, my life as a MTB'er was short lived...not because I didn't like it, but because I lost bike storage space when we moved and my MTB was "expendable."

13. Likes ChampionTier, KLizotte liked this post
    Mostly Frankfurt am Main with time in Dominion Hills
    Post Thanks / Like

Come on over to Frankfurt and we can ride around the Taunus hills, you can improve your German beer drinking numbers at the same time, and you won't even have to put the bike in the car once you are here. Of course, it won't help you get ready for the deer flies.

vvill is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelsDC View Post
    but overall I just found the root-y trails around here to be kinda scary and frustrating rather than fun. I also didn't like that most of the trails I wanted to ride required a car trip and all the loading/unloading unpleasantness that came with that. Ultimately, my life as a MTB'er was short lived...not because I didn't like it, but because I lost bike storage space when we moved and my MTB was "expendable."
    My take on my MTBing experiences is similar with the root-y trails. Rosaryville is awesome (although it still has roots and rocks), but I'm not particularly a fan of Wakefield and have never really wanted to try Fountainhead. Lake Fairfax was okay the one or two time(s?) I've done it. My MTB is not expendable though because it's a titanium 29er that rides so much sweeter than any other MTB I ever owned and with CX/gravel tires it doubles as a spare gravel bike. I sort of imagined MTBing to have more open space and just dirt and smaller rocks I guess rather than slippery roots winding through woods.