Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Help needed regarding inner tube valves

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vvill View Post
    bought a new wheelset as well instead
    This is always the correct answer.

2. Likes ShawnoftheDread, Crickey7, vvill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vvill View Post
    Get these and just stick with all Presta tubes
    http://wheelsmfg.com/presta-stem-savers.html

I vaguely recall having some similar issue years ago and using these... or at least buying them. I may have bought a new wheelset as well instead and forgot about these.
    Why would I want Presta tubes? I'm not aware of them having any advantage over Schrader ones. And you have to do some weird thing before inflating them, which you don't need to do before inflating a Schrader. Yes, I could undoubtedly figure it out. But unless there is an advantage to a Presta, I don't see why I should.
    Last edited by cvcalhoun; 03-20-2017 at 07:56 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cvcalhoun View Post
    Why would I want Presta tubes? I'm not aware of them having any advantage over Schrader ones. And you have to do some weird thing before inflating them, which you don't need to do before inflating Schrader. Yes, I could undoubtedly figure it out. But unless there is an advantage to a Presta, I don't see why I should.
    Unless unscrewing something is "some weird thing," I don't see what the big deal is.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dkel View Post
    Unless unscrewing something is "some weird thing," I don't see what the big deal is.
    I suspect it's not a big deal. (Since I have never used one, I have no idea whether it's always simple, or whether they sometimes get jammed or are hard to twist off.) And remember, I'd also be unscrewing and screwing a separate gadget--one that I fear could be lost--any time I wanted to change a tire. As I said, I'm sure I could learn. But I'm back to the question of why I would want to. Is there any advantage to a Presta?
    Last edited by cvcalhoun; 03-20-2017 at 08:09 PM.

ShawnoftheDread is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I suspect it's not a big deal. (Since I have never used one, I have no idea whether it's always simple, or whether they sometimes get jammed or something.) As I said, I'm sure I could learn. But I'm back to the question of why I would want to. Is there any advantage to a Presta?
    The advantage is you won't be online asking where to find the proper tube because it will be widely available.

7. Likes dkel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnoftheDread View Post
    The advantage is you won't be online asking where to find the proper tube because it will be widely available.
    Well, a Schrader tube is widely available. And I think I got the answer I wanted--that the existing wheel could just be reamed out to allow for a Schrader valve. So I'm trying to figure out whether the later advice indicates that there is some reason not to use that approach.

And remember, if I were using Presta tubes, I'd also be using a gadget I screwed onto them to make them fit. I can easily see that gadget getting lost if I were having to change a tube in the dark of a trail.
    Last edited by cvcalhoun; 03-20-2017 at 08:08 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Why would I want Presta tubes?
    Shawn and I both misinterpreted your question. The answer is: you wouldn't.

10. Likes ShawnoftheDread liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dkel View Post
    Shawn and I both misinterpreted your question. The answer is: you wouldn't.
    I'm genuinely curious, though--is there a reason why someone would want them? My understanding has been that they are mostly of use if you have a road bike with narrow wheels, because a Schrader hole would just be too wide for the wheel. Is there some other advantage that I'm overlooking?

Post Thanks / Like

A few arguments are sprinkled in this thread, though some are not fleshed out well : http://forums.mtbr.com/general-discu...hy-238970.html

Like : easy to deflate is great for rolling up a tube you just patched so that it takes less space (for those of us who bring a spare and try to do our patching at home).

Simpler, more reliable - no need to worry about air leaking around the valve.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by peterw_diy View Post
    A few arguments are sprinkled in this thread, though some are not fleshed out well : http://forums.mtbr.com/general-discu...hy-238970.html

Like : easy to deflate is great for rolling up a tube you just patched so that it takes less space (for those of us who bring a spare and try to do our patching at home).

Simpler, more reliable - no need to worry about air leaking around the valve.
    Thanks!