Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Help needed regarding inner tube valves

Post Thanks / Like

Admittedly, the largest reason for having two bikes is that I do most of my bike repair myself, and as a mechanic I am more enthusiastic than skilled. My effort to replace my internally routed cables alone sidelined one bike for a month.

2. Likes Rod Smith, huskerdont liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crickey7 View Post
    Admittedly, the largest reason for having two bikes is that I do most of my bike repair myself, and as a mechanic I am more enthusiastic than skilled. My effort to replace my internally routed cables alone sidelined one bike for a month.
    Being neither enthusiastic nor skilled, I'm perfectly happy to leave this to my local bike shop. Particularly since I've had several experiences of paying more to do something myself than a mechanic would have charged, due to incorrectly diagnosing the problem and repairing several things that didn't help before the thing that did.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crickey7 View Post
    Me too. Although I've fallen into the trap of "after this bike, and the other bike, there's only one bike left."

So now there are six.

5. Likes Vicegrip, Crickey7 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huskerdont View Post
    Me too. Although I've fallen into the trap of "after this bike, and the other bike, there's only one bike left."

So now there are six.
    Whereas I fall into the category of, "after this bike, there is no more room in the shed."

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cvcalhoun View Post
    Being neither enthusiastic nor skilled, I'm perfectly happy to leave this to my local bike shop. Particularly since I've had several experiences of paying more to do something myself than a mechanic would have charged, due to incorrectly diagnosing the problem and repairing several things that didn't help before the thing that did.
    I would be the same way if I only had one bike. Having multiple has been nice in the sense that I can tinker without too much fear, which has been really good for learning new skills. So somewhat ironically, spending money to buy multiple bikes has allowed me to save probably a similar amount of money in maintenance and parts (buying parts online is cheaper...sorry not sorry LBSs). Having the space for that is definitely a luxury though, and you gotta do what works best for you.

8. Likes Crickey7, rcannon100 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Whereas I fall into the category of, "after this bike, there is no more room in the shed."
    But there is room for another shed.
    Last edited by Vicegrip; 03-22-2017 at 02:25 PM.

10. Likes EasyRider liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I ran into the same problem and I was able to fix it without getting new tubes or drilling wheels. I was only able to get the top part in, part of the rubber around the valve was sticking out microscopically. I tried again and pushed hard, while trying to rotate the valve around, and it worked. Here is something for you to try: get an electric tape or a piece of paper or sheet of plastic, and wrap it around the valve, essentially making a cone like the following picture:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	schrader.png 
Views:	59 
Size:	9.9 KB 
ID:	14431

This should get the rubber part through the hole.
    Last edited by n18; 03-22-2017 at 03:02 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

By preference? Or because that's the wheels available?
    Wheels available. My trailer wheels prefer Schrader. My pump has dual head. Carrying a 26in Presta spare and a 16in Schrader. Oh and running 26in tube in the front, 700c in the rear. Really should change that rear tube. Bound to fail at a bad time.
    Last edited by Rod Smith; 03-22-2017 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Failed 1/2 mile from home. A good time for that to happen. Rode the flat home.

Post Thanks / Like

Ive widened valve holes with a flat head screwdriver. One that is narrow enough to get part way in but not all the way. Insert and twist. Necessary to clean rough edges afterwards (de-burr).
    Last edited by Rod Smith; 03-22-2017 at 10:17 PM.

vvill is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

So apparently I am still riding with Presta tubes in Schrader drilled rims. Re-discovered it today when I swapped in a different tire on my 26" bike which I never flat on. I've been using the Wheels Mfg adapter thingy, but I can understand why you may not want to have to remember that for a trailside flat - it just dropped out when I pulled the tube, having totally forgotten about it.