Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Help needed regarding inner tube valves

Post Thanks / Like

Without a spare bike, what do you do when your bike needs fixin'?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huskerdont View Post
    Without a spare bike, what do you do when your bike needs fixin'?
    I patronize only bike shops that will fix things on the spot.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cvcalhoun View Post
    By preference? Or because that's the wheels available?
    Or because Rod runs a suspension fork he can use the inherently weaker Schraeder up front, but can't afford to compromise rim strength in the rear of his hardtail setup? Like a mullet brake setup, but focusing on rim stress rather than braking power distribution? 😀

Post Thanks / Like

I patronize only bike shops that will fix things on the spot.
    Bzzt. Wrong. The correct answer is "use bikeshare". All forum members are required to join, regardless of their household bike count.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by peterw_diy View Post
    Bzzt. Wrong. The correct answer is "use bikeshare". All forum members are required to join, regardless of their household bike count.
    And regardless of the fact that the nearest bikeshare to me is a mile from my house? And that at the speed I ride, I'd have to change bikes about three times to get to work while staying within the half hour limit?

Post Thanks / Like

And regardless of the fact that the nearest bikeshare to me is a mile from my house? And that at the speed I ride, I'd have to change bikes about three times to get to work while staying within the half hour limit?
    And given the distance between bikes along the CCT, I don't think many could stay within the half hour limit and would have to pay additional usage fees. (That's about what, 6 miles between the start of the trail and River Road? Up hill? On a Bikeshare bike?!)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LhasaCM View Post
    And given the distance between bikes along the CCT, I don't think many could stay within the half hour limit and would have to pay additional usage fees. (That's about what, 6 miles between the start of the trail and River Road? Up hill? On a Bikeshare bike?!)
    Yeah, the CCT on the way home would be impossible. I'd have to take the roads, which means a steep uphill for miles.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, the one bike thing and relying on getting things fixed on the spot wouldn't have worked for me. I had two recent mechanicals in tandem that likely could not have been fixed without the shop ordering parts, a broken front shifter and a snapped derailleur hanger. The odds of a shop having a matching shifter, or the right hanger, in stock are not good.

9. Likes huskerdont liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crickey7 View Post
    Yeah, the one bike thing and relying on getting things fixed on the spot wouldn't have worked for me. I had two recent mechanicals in tandem that likely could not have been fixed without the shop ordering parts, a broken front shifter and a snapped derailleur hanger. The odds of a shop having a matching shifter, or the right hanger, in stock are not good.
    I suppose I've been lucky. I've had only one instance in the past several years in which a) the shop needed to order something, and b) I couldn't ride the bike while waiting for the part to come in.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, regardless.