Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Help needed regarding inner tube valves

vvill is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

peterw_diy replied before I saw this.

The other advantage is - it's universal - as in you can use a Presta tube in a Schrader-drilled rim but not vice versa. Most cyclists who carry a spare tube would carry a Presta, I imagine.

You could still just have your wheel modified and stick with Schrader, but when I first learned about Presta/Schrader I switched to all Presta tubes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vvill View Post
    peterw_diy replied before I saw this.

The other advantage is - it's universal - as in you can use a Presta tube in a Schrader-drilled rim but not vice versa. Most cyclists who carry a spare tube would carry a Presta, I imagine.

You could still just have your wheel modified and stick with Schrader, but when I first learned about Presta/Schrader I switched to all Presta tubes.
    Have you been using Presta tubes with wheels that have Schrader holds? Or getting wheels with Presta holes? And if the former, are you using grommets with them? I ask because I'm seeing some things online that suggest that using a Presta tube in a Schrader hole without the grommet can lead to either movement of the valve causing the valve to break off, or a "hernia" of the tube through the excess space at high pressure, leading to a blowout. When my tube with the Presta valve had the valve break off only a couple of days after I got it, the bike shop told me that it was the former problem.

I can see advantages to using a tube with a Presta valve if you either had a wheel with a hole the right size, or could use the tube without a grommet. But I'd be concerned if I had to use a grommet that the grommet would roll off and get lost if I had to change a tube by the side of the CCT.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cvcalhoun View Post
    Have you been using Presta tubes with wheels that have Schrader holds? Or getting wheels with Presta holes? And if the former, are you using grommets with them? I ask because I'm seeing some things online that suggest that using a Presta tube in a Schrader hole without the grommet can lead to either movement of the valve causing the valve to break off, or a "hernia" of the tube through the excess space at high pressure, leading to a blowout. When my tube with the Presta valve had the valve break off only a couple of days after I got it, the bike shop told me that it was the former problem.

I can see advantages to using a tube with a Presta valve if you either had a wheel with a hole the right size, or could use the tube without a grommet. But I'd be concerned if I had to use a grommet that the grommet would roll off and get lost if I had to change a tube by the side of the CCT.
    my advice: use a tube that has a valve stem that matches what the rim is drilled for. using a presta valve tube in a schrader drilled rim isn't worth the trouble.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Meatmotor View Post
    my advice: use a tube that has a valve stem that matches what the rim is drilled for. using a presta valve tube in a schrader drilled rim isn't worth the trouble.
    That is my inclination, barring some reason not to. But I was wondering why vvil switched, and whether it involved getting whole new wheels.

vvill is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I had perhaps one or two wheels with Presta tubes in Schrader rims with grommets, but total mileage like that was probably under 2000, maybe a lot less. I don't remember exactly, sorry! I have quite a few bikes and none of my wheels have Schrader rims anymore.

I believe I switched because I didn't want to have to buy two different types of tubes. At that point I already had multiple wheelsets.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vvill View Post
    I think I had perhaps one or two wheels with Presta tubes in Schrader rims with grommets, but total mileage like that was probably under 2000, maybe a lot less. I don't remember exactly, sorry! I have quite a few bikes and none of my wheels have Schrader rims anymore.

I believe I switched because I didn't want to have to buy two different types of tubes. At that point I already had multiple wheelsets.
    Ah, yes, “multiple wheelsets" would not be my situation. I have exactly one wheelset, and it's attached to the one bicycle.

7. Likes Rod Smith, vvill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Running Schrader front, Presta rear on my work bike.

9. Likes Judd, vvill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Smith View Post
    Running Schrader front, Presta rear on my work bike.
    By preference? Or because that's the wheels available?

mstone is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Throw a couple of extra grommets in the bag with the tube? You'd have to be a serious weight weenie to notice the added load.

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, yes, “multiple wheelsets" would not be my situation. I have exactly one wheelset, and it's attached to the one bicycle.
    For Dog's sake this situation has to be fixed and soon!

Around here one bike is like one shoe or one pant leg.

13. Likes vvill, huskerdont liked this post