Thread: CaBi route to Old Town

Post Thanks / Like

Default CaBi route to Old Town

The problem has the following parameters:

You are in DC, and want to go to the 700 block of King Street in Old Town Alexandria, at rush hour. With today's conditions. 5:30 to 6 PM (shooting for 6:30 in OT)

You do not have your bike with you in DC. You do have a CaBi FOB. You just remembered the Yellow line is absent between the airport and Braddock Road,due to SafeTrack. You are slow on a CaBi bike and if you ride from CC to OT, you will want to redock at least once.

Assume you want to avoid riding the 14th Street bridge. So you metro it to Crystal City, grab a CaBi at 18th street, ride down either Crystal or Clark to Potomac Avenue, then down Potomac through PY. You redock at PY, then ride the rest of the way on the PY trail to the linear park (or perhaps you veer east into the streets of north old Town, anywhere from Slaters south). You end at either Market square or Fayette. Correct? Snow and ice and other terrors in the bike lanes and side trails along this way? Better than MVT (plus redocking is an issue on MVT).

NB: Kicking yourself for bothering with a lunchtime sleaze ride need not be mentioned.
    Last edited by lordofthemark; 03-16-2017 at 02:37 PM. Reason: Single tracking s of L'enfant no longer in effect

TwoWheelsDC is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthemark View Post
    The problem has the following parameters:

You are in DC, and want to go to the 700 block of King Street in Old Town Alexandria, at rush hour. With today's conditions. 5:30 to 6 PM (shooting for 6:30 in OT)

You do not have your bike with you in DC. You do have a CaBi FOB. You just remembered the Yellow line is absent between the airport and Braddock Road,due to SafeTrack. You are slow on a CaBi bike and if you ride from CC to OT, you will want to redock at least once.

Assume you want to avoid riding the 14th Street bridge. So you metro it to Crystal City, grab a CaBi at 18th street, ride down either Crystal or Clark to Potomac Avenue, then down Potomac through PY. You redock at PY, then ride the rest of the way on the PY trail to the linear park (or perhaps you veer east into the streets of north old Town, anywhere from Slaters south). You end at either Market square or Fayette. Correct? Snow and ice and other terrors in the bike lanes and side trails along this way? Better than MVT (plus redocking is an issue on MVT).

NB: Kicking yourself for bothering with a lunchtime sleaze ride need not be mentioned.
    Blue Line to King Street? (my understanding is that YL service is limited, but not totally suspended)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelsDC View Post
    Blue Line to King Street? (my understanding is that YL service is limited, but not totally suspended)
    I stand corrected. There will be some service to King Street. But it will be infrequent (and therefore crowded). I still think this is a good time to take CaBi instead.