Thread: Lake Artemisia ride moved to SATURDAY 3/18

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lake Artemisia ride moved to SATURDAY 3/18

The weather is not with us for riding to Lake Artemesia on Friday. Iím hearing about ice on the trails. I want to give it one more day for trails to clear up so Iím moving the ride to Saturday.*The forecast is for high of 53 and partly sunny.*Everything else is the same. I realize this means some folks who told me they were in canít do it now and I apologize. Please RSVP again.*mathtree@icloud.com (Lynn)

Here are the details followed by the original post:

Ride start:*Bluemont (parking lot by tennis courts just off Wilson Blvd: http://babesonbikes.org/bluemont/)

Start time: 9 AM
    Mileage: ~53 miles
    Ride link:*https://ridewithgps.com/routes/19372598* (When you look at the map, itís kind of an Inner Bikeway.)

Average pace: 10 - 12 mph (given breaks)
    Estimated return time: 3 - 5 PM*

Itís a long ride, over 53 miles from Bluemont, and has 2000 feet of elevation. Honestly, it did not feel like a climber. It was more of a twisty turny ride, and a big mix of roads and trails. Nadine and I were constantly looking at the cue sheet plus I had the route in my Garmin plus I had 12 pages of 8 1/2 X 11 maps with me for the parts I wasnít familiar with, but now that Iíve done it in two pieces, I think I can take some of the halting figure-it-out time out of the ride. Still, please allow all day for this. If you can only do part, there are several places where you could Metro home between 10 AM and 4 PM with your bike. (College Park and Silver Spring metro stops come to mind.)

The cue sheet is four pages long in small print, but the big picture gets lost in the minutia. Hereís the gist.

Ride to the*CapitolCatch the Metropolitan Branch trail and ride through*NE DCPick up the Anacostia Tributary Trail all the way to*Lake Artemesia. Ride around the lake. Restrooms and snack there.Paint Branch Trail from the Lake to the*U of Maryland*campus.Ride through U of MD campus and then a bunch of cues (not too difficult) to get to the*Northwest Branch Trail. At the start of the NW Branch Trail, thereís a cute duck pond that we will loop around once for fun. Snack #2.From Northwest Branch Trail, we turn right onto the*Sligo Creek Trail*at the sign.*Sligo Creek Trail takes us to the outskirts of Silver Spring where weíll follow some cues into Silver Spring.Then we ride through*Silver Spring*and follow some cues to Rosemary Hills Park. This is where Nadine and I got lost the most and did an alternate route, but Iíll carry a map to make sure we get through the park according to the route that will take us to*Rock Creek Trail.Weíll follow cues through*Chevy Chase*and work our way into*Bethesda. Snack #3 and bathrooms at Barnes and Noble.Capital Crescent Trail, cross the river, and head back to*Bluemont.

Iíve heard about the Ten Trails to Lake Artemesia ride for a long time. I heard tales about folks getting lost on it, so decided to explore when I had ample time. I did the first part of the ride to the lake with my friend, Kathleen, who was visiting from Columbus, on one of those warm February days. We took Metro back. Then Nadine was game to explore the rest of the route with me so we took Metro to College Park and picked up the route from there. Between the two exploratory rides, I think Iíve got the route figured out. No guarantees of no wrong turns, but much more confident of being able to lead it. Still, it wonít be a fast ride b/c of all the twists and turns.

Let me know if youíre interested. Will try to remember to check here, but email is better:

mathtree@icloud.com (Lynn)

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Default Saturday Route

The ride is set for Saturday, 9am Bluemont, and THIS ROUTE (Millie's suggestions have now been added)

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/19372598

Everyone's invited! And RSVPs are good.... Here is okay and Lynn's email is maybe even better: mathtree@icloud.com

:-D Nadine

PS -- This is the 2nd of two threads about this ride because I wanted one whose title said Saturday and couldn't figure out how to change the title of the post. I will be checking both for RSVPs and trail updates....

3. Likes kwarkentien liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nadine View Post
    The ride is set for Saturday, 9am Bluemont, and THIS ROUTE (Millie's suggestions have now been added)

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/19372598

Everyone's invited! And RSVPs are good.... Here is okay and Lynn's email is maybe even better: mathtree@icloud.com

:-D Nadine

PS -- This is the 2nd of two threads about this ride because I wanted one whose title said Saturday and couldn't figure out how to change the title of the post. I will be checking both for RSVPs and trail updates....
    I plan on riding with you and meeting up at Bluemont Parking area by the pavilion bathrooms.

Post Thanks / Like

I did some more recon on the ART on the way home from work, and can report now that all the wood bridges are clear, but there are still a couple place at underpasses where there's a small icy or snow dump spot that you need to be careful for. One of them under the Amtrak bridge comes up kinda quickly if you're sightseeing.

6. Likes KLizotte, Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbelt View Post
    I did some more recon on the ART on the way home from work, and can report now that all the wood bridges are clear, but there are still a couple place at underpasses where there's a small icy or snow dump spot that you need to be careful for. One of them under the Amtrak bridge comes up kinda quickly if you're sightseeing.
    Wow, thanks so much for taking those pictures. I feel a lot better about the ride tomorrow now. Just the first picture looks especially dangerous to me and maybe with no freeze tonight it will be largely gone by tomorrow mid-day.

Post Thanks / Like

You'll have a blast -- the trails out this way have beautiful scenery lots of wildlife and won't be crowded. I'm doing a pastry ride on the trails in the morning so maybe we'll fly by.

Post Thanks / Like

Just some pics of this awesome ride!!! Thanks all!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10. Likes wheels&wings, bobco85, streetsmarts liked this post