Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: C&O towpath >Frederick >Emmitsburg route suggestions?

DismalScientist is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

If you are going to bail at White's Ferry, you can cross the river and take the WOD home.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DismalScientist View Post
    If you are going to bail at White's Ferry, you can cross the river and take the WOD home.
    Thanks for mentioning that option. It was unknown to me until last week. Kind of a little hidden gem. I bought a mountain dew and a bag of potato chips at their little store.

I seriously considered that option today and I think it would make a very nice ride. The added experience of a ferry passage would be unique too. I decided to opt for the tow path all the way back. Its very beautiful and peaceful riding for the most part. There was a fishing derby and the tour barge was in service today. Nice to see so many people out enjoying themselves. But if I didn't have all day to get home it would have had the potential to make me frustrated. Even at my sedate pace I used my bell rather loudly a couple times.

After climbing the stairs up to the bridge back in DC I managed to shift my rear mech right into the spokes. It was hard enough to break a spoke, but luckily I didn't mangle anything else or fall down. I had used that gear many times in the rolling hills earlier. I guess the vibration of the tow path managed to loosen up my set screw or change something else. I was also totally exhausted (numb?) at that point and probably operated the shifter without a great deal of finesse...