Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: March 2017 Road & Trail Conditions

dasgeh is offline Queen of Family Biking & All Things Kidical
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by semperiden View Post
    Rode from Glebe Road & South Meade St to Georgetown this morning. From Glebe Rd to MVT it was very good. Alexandria did an excellent job on the 4MR detour. Once you hit MVT though, is where the trouble starts. There are several patches where there is ice as hard as rock, so you better walk those if you plan to head that way. From Gravelly Point to the 14th St Bridge is very much rideable. From then on, to Georgetown, you are better off walking most of the way. Trollheim is a mess, I don't think even a fat bike can pass through there. The whole way is doable, just take your time on ice patches (you better walk those, that ice is very tricky).
    Why not go the other way around? Like this.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    Do you mean by the Memorial Bridge?
    I ask because I want to go from Rosslyn to Wed. night spins tonight. I plan to take the 110 trail to ANC, avoiding the Trollheim section. Then I can either take the MVT to LBJ Grove to Boundary Channel (last section shoveled by the Trio of Incredibleness) or schlep the Wash Blvd. trail to Boundary Channel.
    Suggestions, anyone?
    Yup!
    That route sounds like the good way to do it today. #NoSchlep

3. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    Do you mean by the Memorial Bridge?
    I ask because I want to go from Rosslyn to Wed. night spins tonight. I plan to take the 110 trail to ANC, avoiding the Trollheim section. Then I can either take the MVT to LBJ Grove to Boundary Channel (last section shoveled by the Trio of Incredibleness) or schlep the Wash Blvd. trail to Boundary Channel.
    Suggestions, anyone?
    Yes, just downriver from Memorial Bridge. The plowing went up to the Parkway crossing rather than continue upriver on the MVT. I don't know if the trails on the other side of the Parkway were cleared, but it looks like the plow was headed that way or came from that way, so it is likely they were. I'd take LBJ just to sample the Trio's fine work. It is wise to avoid Trollheim.

5. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Any reports on the MVT heading north from Dyke Marsh? I presume it is not plowed and conditions are crappy, at least until you get to the airport. Union Street is probably fine. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MFC View Post
    Any reports on the MVT heading north from Dyke Marsh? I presume it is not plowed and conditions are crappy, at least until you get to the airport. Union Street is probably fine. Thanks.
    I drove by the area between Dyke Marsh and Old Town over lunch. Some spots are clear, some parts look REALLY icy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emm View Post
    I drove by the area between Dyke Marsh and Old Town over lunch. Some spots are clear, some parts look REALLY icy.
    Thanks. I think with that section, it is only cleared by sun and foot, paw and bike traffic.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Any reports on TR bridge

First of all, KUDOS to Arlington on the nicely cleared Custis trail!! Just watch out at the Spout Run Bridge Rink.

Anyone tried the TR bridge to see if they (as usual) plowed all the slush onto the sidewalk to become an impassable mess? Gee it would be nice if there were more webcams around TR bridge! Ahh, I feel a Mem. Br. detour coming on...

10. Likes dasgeh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Any reports for WOD in Reston?

Trying to figure out if I can bike to the dentist tomorrow.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Scene from the Trollheim this evening. That's not snow - it is hard ice.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tom H View Post
    First of all, KUDOS to Arlington on the nicely cleared Custis trail!! Just watch out at the Spout Run Bridge Rink.

Anyone tried the TR bridge to see if they (as usual) plowed all the slush onto the sidewalk to become an impassable mess? Gee it would be nice if there were more webcams around TR bridge! Ahh, I feel a Mem. Br. detour coming on...
    Plowed this afternoon

14. Likes Tom H, Steve O liked this post