Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: March 2017 Road & Trail Conditions

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Meatmotor View Post
    I'll take this route home, I think. Depending on afternoon temps.
    The wooden bridge might clear by then. The trail in the LBJ will probably be icy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelsDC View Post
    wet cement.
    I thought of it more like 3" of yummy peanut butter filling with thin, crunchy chocolate icing.

but maybe I'm just hungry because I'm starving myself to make race weight.

3. Likes Steve O liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7198.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	14295
    The trail through the LBJ grove

Name:	IMG_7200.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	92.3 KB 
ID:	14296
    Looking north at the maritime memorial on the MVT

Name:	IMG_7205.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	89.7 KB 
ID:	14297
    DC end of the 14th St Bridge

Name:	IMG_7210.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	91.7 KB 
ID:	14298
    DDOT plows covered the sidewalk at the foot of 15th by the Tidal Basin

5. Likes Steve O, Birru, bobco85, CaseyKane50 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hats off to ya'll that rode in. I on the other hand, made coffee, wrapped up in my woobie and pulled a telework day. Whew. If I was fully healed up and feeling tough I probably would have ridden my fat bike just to prove a point and have the office to myself.

How are the public works about catching up on the sidewalks and stuff? I gather snow removal on the mount vernon trail is intermittent to non existent?

7. Likes consularrider liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anomad View Post
    Hats off to ya'll that rode in. I on the other hand, made coffee, wrapped up in my woobie and pulled a telework day. Whew. If I was fully healed up and feeling tough I probably would have ridden my fat bike just to prove a point and have the office to myself.

How are the public works about catching up on the sidewalks and stuff? I gather snow removal on the mount vernon trail is intermittent to non existent?
    I think that's about right for the MVT. Other than some trails in Arlington, people are usually just happy if VDOT doesn't plow snow onto the trails. Which they usually do.

Post Thanks / Like

Yup, props to those who rode, but teleworking and drinking pourover with a cat on my lap works for me! I really should pick up some studded tires and decent platform pedals for a future winter that isn't this mild though.

Post Thanks / Like

Did anybody ride the MVT south from Roosevelt Island? Where did the snow clearing start?

Post Thanks / Like

As of 10AM, the Metropolitan Branch Trail was pretty clear between Franklin and R Street NE. The transition from 8th onto the trail was a mess, and south of R it looks like one pass had been taken, but there was a good half inch or more of slushy ice in parts.

The cycletrack was passable (half a lane clear) on M Street NE between the trail and 1st. Once you make the turn onto 1st, things were a lot better. They were making another pass south of K street as I rode by.

(For reference - I rode in on my regular bike - 700x40 tires - with my daughter on the trailercycle for the MBT part)
    Last edited by LhasaCM; 03-14-2017 at 10:12 AM. Reason: added tire information

12. Likes Steve O liked this post
    Steve O is offline I really need to log off the internet and go for a ride.
    Post Thanks / Like

Custis Trail is completely cleared all the way. Can be ridden on any bike. (Thank you, Arlington)

Caution should be taken tomorrow in a few places where standing water will have frozen. In particular, the Spout Run skating rink may be a complete sheet of ice, depending on sublimation, which I would not depend on. Be sure to approach it with extreme care.

The moguls will likely have ice in the depressions, but those are inconsequential, since they're so short. Actually smooth out the ride a bit.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dbb View Post
    The "sort of" is that the clearing stopped at the north side of the Humpback and the bridge and the trail up to the 14th St Bridge was untouched.

DDOT seems to have forgotten the bike/ped lane on the bridge.
    For anyone interested, I plan on heading over to that spot this evening to do some shoveling. My goal is to clear as much of a usable path between the Humpback Bridge and the 14th St Bridge as possible while the temperatures are still above freezing. I will bring my trailer with a shovel, an ice breaker, and 2 deck-style push brooms. I should be there by 6 and plan to stay for at least 2 hours. Hope to see some of you there!